Can a local recruiting expert fill me in?

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by DarkHornet, Jan 13, 2004.

1. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

I'm curious about the rule on how many scholarships you are allowed to give out each year. How is it decided how many scholarships you are allowed to give out? What happens if you go over?

I've seen that some teams oversign, and then send some to junior colleges. I just don't feel right about that, it seems so much like backstabbing.

I'm sure that the LSU coaches know what they are doing, but I would personally like to know what the rule is, because I thought we were only going to be allowed to sign like 21 recruits or so this year because we aren't losing that many people.

So can someone please enlighten me?

2. JustinTI

JustinTI Founding Member

The maximun amount of players you are allowed to sign every year is 25. The reason some teams sign more than 25 is because they know that not all 25 recruits will make it to campus - because of grades or pro baseball or any reason like that. In the occurence that more than 25 players sign and qualify, the coach usually has someone that agrees to come in the spring(and therefore count against the next class) or someone who will take an academic scholarship and try to earn a athletic scholarship. There is also a second stipulation that you cannot have more than 85 players on scholarship on your roster. That is why some people were saying we would only be able to sign 21 this year , not for the 25 signees a year limit. Hope that clears some things up.

3. NHTIGER

NHTIGER Founding Member

25 scholarships can be given each year

A school can sign 35 players if it wants in February (or later) - the only rule is that it can only actually award 25 of the signees football scholarships for the following academic year (and of course the 85 scholarship limit is always in place). That is why schools are alowed to oversign. Once a player signs he cannot switch Div1-A schools without sitting out a year, BUT if the school reneges on actually giving him the scholarship when the time comes, the athlete is free to sign elsewhere without sitting out. So when a recruit sign a LOI when he knows that school is oversigning, and that recruit is a "marginal" recruit, he is previously informed that he could be grey-shirted or have his entrance delayed if there are not enough non-qualifiers or guys that play baseball or just decide not to come (we had one of those about 4 years ago - kid decided to try his hand at being a hip-hop singer as I recall!). Signing the letter of intent does not mean the kid, even if he qualifies, is absoluetly assured to get into school under scholarship THAT season. In amost all cases, of course, he receives his scholarship because the numbers sem to work out every year. But the point is signing a LOI is not a legally binding contract to give a kid a scholarship - the kid is free not to go through with it and the school is free to delay his entrance, or give him a release from the LOI, freeing him to sign with another school. But there is NO NCAA rule thatgoverns how many LOI's can be signed in one season - only how many actual scholarships are funded , as long as the 25/85 limitations are properly observed.

4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

And obviously situations like Clayton going pro and Carey possibly trasferrring frees up one of these 85 slots.

5. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

How many seniors did LSU have this year?