Can Anyone Save the Democratic Party

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by marcmc99, Jan 12, 2005.

1. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

Howard Dean has made it official, he will be seeking the chairmanship of the DNC. The article also says some senior Democrats have asked Terry McAuliffe to stay on the job. I still remember McAuliffe yelling "don't touch me" at Sean Hannity after the third presidential debate. Every time I see the guy I think of that Scut Farkus kid Ralphie beat the crap out of in "A Christmas Story". Howard Dean or a Terry McAuliffe repeat. Is this all the Democratic Party has to offer? A lot will change over the next four years, but going further left with Dean or being content with McAuliffe right now isn't going to help the Democrats win back any of the power they have lost. The article lists a few other candidates for the position, but it leads me to believe these two are the front-runners (although it is a CBS report, so it could be somewhat misleading I suppose). It looks like they haven't learned much from the election.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/11/09/politics/main654413.shtml

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I hear Newt Gingrich is gearing up for a GOP presidential run. Newt might save the democratic party!

They say Gingrich is trying to appear more moderate to compete with McCain. But I think he's as un-electable as Hillary. I don't think the Demos will end up going left with Dean. It's early, yet. I think both parties are going to move to the middle. I think neither the Neo-cons nor the Deaniacs are going to lead their parties in 2008. At least I hope not. There are a lot of centrists waiting for one party or the other to get back on the road.

3. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

From the looks of Ted Kennedy's press conference today, it sounds like he could be the one that saves the Democratic party.

4. KTeamLSU

KTeamLSU Founding Member

To save the democratic party... would be to find a new JFK. A person with vision, youth, and "star power". Clinton possessed some of these qualities and that is why he stayed as long as he did. If Hilary runs in 2008, you can start finding a plot and picking out a headstone. Presidential races are popularity contests, although alot of "educated voters" base their decision on policy position etc., but some use other methods. Case in point, my mother told me she was voting for Bush because Laura made a better (classy) first lady, then Theresa, which I agreed to, but still thought it was dumb to vote because of that. The democrats need to shed their "cry me a river, social injustice, minority over majority, far left views and become more moderate (in the eyes of the public) before they will ever see a simple majority in Congress, much less a candidate for president who will win, and win strong.

5. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

newt is a good guy as is Lott, they both got railroaded. either one of those guys has more integrity than 90% of any democrat.

6. KTeamLSU

KTeamLSU Founding Member

Politicians and integrity in the same sentence... isn't that an oxymoron

7. KTeamLSU

KTeamLSU Founding Member

This is a little unrelated but IMHO, the best person for a public office ie Congress, President, Governor, Mayor, down to school board... is the person that doesn't want it.

8. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

I don't want to be an elected official.

9. KTeamLSU

KTeamLSU Founding Member

My point is, public officials seem to be more worried about running for office, then actually doing anything once they get there. If you took Joe Schmo who is bright, but doesn't really want to be a "power monger", then i believe he would do a better job of serving the people then... Mr. Ivy League who just wants his picture in the paper and a pension for life.

10. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

Somehow I just cant picture " joe Schmo" being bright. i see your point though.....