Can Chavis Coach Defense Or Just Great Players on Defense?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TCUTiger, Nov 9, 2013.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

he was noticeably incredible.

2. LSU Strength

LSU Strength Veteran Member

That is exactly correct. Never mind that we lost so many on D, that is true, but we have to remember that Bama ran all over us last year also. We are undersized in a league that plays big boy ball. If we were in the Pac 12, our D personnel would make sense, but we aren't.

3. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

Chavis has always liked smaller, quick LBs. While Id prefer a lil bigger to better match Bama thats not the issue. The issue is the team is more often than not in poor schemes. The team clearly hasnt been coached up. There is no reason a college team tackles and whiffs as much as LSU does. The angles are very poor. Those are in part on the player but you have to put a lot on the coaches. The kids havent been coached up in any way this year.

Watch the Bama LBs, great technique. Its not just size here.

TCUTiger likes this.
  4. LSU Strength

LSU Strength Veteran Member

Its both. They also have the size to stop people with one hit, instead of having to gang tackle like we do. You are correct that our tackling technique is poor. We consistently try for the hit, instead of the wrap up. And yes, we are consistently out of position, which by this late in the season should not be happening, even with newer players. Last year, when we had a high level D, we will had a hell of a time tackling Bama's RB's.

5. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

6. boblinfoto

boblinfoto Ohio LSU fan/artist

After the play of Loston last night, he should just be benched. After that late hit, I felt an ejection would've benefited LSU, because Les would've been forced to put someone else in, and anyone would've been better than "hair extensions" in there. Loston is more concerned about his gameday appearance than he is in his performance.

7. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

I think Kwon Alexander type guys that are coached in the correct manner, can make the plays........however, Welter is the worst MLB I have seen at LSU in this century, why he kept playing is beyond me. Chavis TOLERATED the SAME mistakes every single game. Lastly, the guy is just too slow and lacks the physical tools to play that position, IMO, he was better suited to be a safety.

8. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

The fact that Welter starts is enough to give Chavis an ultimatum. I refuse to believe he is our best MLB...... Not fucking possible.

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Well, Welter is gonna be on the field next year too.

tirk likes this.
  10. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

I have wondered so many times how in the world he ever got the recruiting pub he did...........proves that too many times all these recruiting rankings are a bunch of crap.
    I will however give him credit for staying the entire time plus some.