Can of worms opened on the NFL

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MikeD, Feb 6, 2004.

1. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

In the Maurice Clarett case, the judge stated in her ruling that the NFL has to have another application period for underclassmen to declare for the draft because they didn't get a chance to declare earlier in the year. This means that any and all underclassmen can declare THIS YEAR.

If you are Mike Williams, do you turn pro? All the scouts love him and I'm sure there are plenty of agents in LA to let him know how good he is and how much money he can make in the draft.

How many underclassmen do you think will declare for the NFL?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1728262

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1728315

2. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

I hope Mike Williams goes. One less weapon for USC(University of Soooo Close)

DOWN WITH USC!!!!!!

:geaux: :geaux: :geaux: :helmet: :geaux: :geaux: :geaux:

3. martin

martin Banned Forever

why does the government think it needs to regulate this? damn big government.

4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

This is not a good ruling. These kids are not ready to play in the NFL. And I sure as hell don't want to see great players leaving after only 2 years of college ball.

And why wouldn't this ruling pertain to freshman or even high school players? I mean it sounds like its a ruling that would allow anyone coming out of high school to go straight to the NFL.

5. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Government has to be in control our lives thats why!

Cameras are everywhere and we don't even notice

Although thats a good thing in cases like this guy in florida who
    killed that poor little girl.
    I think that was a camera from a business.

God, I hope god has NO Mercy for guys like this....

Back on topic.....

Maybe the NFL will turn out like the NBA now!

6. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I totally agree with you....

The NFL is going to turn out like the NBA now and this really hurts
    college football like it did college basketball

7. DgPTiger

DgPTiger Founding Member

I don't think it'll be quite the same, mainly because NFL scouts KNOW that these kids aren't physically ready to play. At least kids coming out of high school.

Players like Mike Williams and Larry Fitzgerald, in my opinion, were ready after their freshman year to make an impact in the NFL. But that's two out of many thousands of players.

It won't hurt the NFL like it's hurt the NBA because the game is so different.

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

who does the damn government think they are? ridiculous.

i think the nfl should have a secret meeting and decide that they are gonna still never draft anyone early and play by the same rules they planned for themselves before. then when clarett mysteriously isnt drafted or signed the government will be in the position of having to call scouts and such to prove players should be drafted. every team could just shrug their shoulders and say they wanted other players. then what would the government do? force a team to draft who the government says they should?

this whole thing is ludicrous and indicative of terribly overreaching the government is.

9. LSUinPA

LSUinPA Founding Member

From what I understand, the NFL rule in question is that a person must be 3 years removed from their high school graduating class (regardless of participation in college football) before becoming eligible for the draft. So yea, I guess as long as you are old enough to sign a contract, you can enter the draft! Great. :dis:

The judge ruled "that the NFL's rule is a violation of federal antitrust law because it amounts to the exclusion by the league of an entire category of potential players." According to the washington post article, the NFL announced it would open this year's draft to everyone, but would seek an appeal to the ruling.

I don't agree with the government's ruling or even their involvement.

BUT, I don't think it will have that dramatic an impact on the league. Regardless of age, natural selection will prevail. People who are not qualified will not succeed. You know what, if Clarett gets drafted at 20 and does well, so be it. If it turns out that he can't cut it in his first couple of years, so be that as well. If he makes an ass of himself because he is immature? Well, whats new, anyway?

10. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I agree. I don't think it will have as much of an impact on football as it does basketball. Most kids out of high school are no where near being ready for the NFL. Unless a kids a freak of nature, 2 or 3 years of college will help his body mature and be ready for the rigors of the league.