can someone explain why marcus randall was taken out

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by inNickwetrust, Sep 18, 2004.

1. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

its not cut and dry, but randall looked good in the start and looked good again in the second half when broussard was racking up yards. russell's immobility is a crutch that we dont have with randall, but russell can make much more throws than randall. the thing is, the way randall started out, playing the way he did would have been good enough to probably go undefeated this year. i cant say the same about russell. from what ive seen today id like to see randall start because russell is more of a crutch. randall is limited in his passing ability, but he did good enough to maximize his performance early in the game. plus his legs are a significant weapon for us.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Russell had every chance to win this game and didn't do it. He may be the future, but he just ain't ready yet. Didn't score a single TD.

Randall moved the offense and threw a TD pass. Then he gets benched after one scoring drive! You don't ice a player that is hot. I'll never understand that move.

If you are going to play two quarterbacks, then you go with the hot QB until he falters and then put in the other. As it was we, pulled the hot QB and put in Russell, who did NOT have a good game. It was the worst of both worlds.

3. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

totally agree.....
    I don't think it was wise to replace Marcus after that first drive.
    If someone is hot its a good idea to go with them as long as they are!

4. Mis'sippi Tigah

Mis'sippi Tigah South End Zone Bleachers

I halfway understand that they're trying to manage two guys confidence levels there, so I'll give them a little latitude with the QB substitution, but the question more pressing to me is why the hell we went away from giving the ball to Broussard off tackle? Good night. . .he was ripping off 10 and 15 yard runs left and right and what do we do? Send him to the bench.

My one and only rant about the game. We'll be allright.

5. TigerFan90

TigerFan90 Too far away from home

I think you might be being a bit tough on the coaching staff. I understand the criticism of pulling Randall, but it isn't the coaches fault that he didn't play well most of the rest of the way. Marcus is not the future of this team. He is a lame duck QB. If you really think you can win with him, you gotta play him. If you don't, then don't play him as much. Think about bringing along JR. I could see Saban staying with Randall until LSU had 2 or 3 losses in the Conference, then I'd make the full-time switch to JR, but that's just me.

6. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

i was thinking the same thing about running outside, then we go inside and it
    killed the drive.

7. ThorFabio

ThorFabio Freshman

Did anyone not notice the bad call that gave Auburn it's pat... WTF... the game should have been decided in OT by the players.. Tim Brando and company showed the pat attempt from every angle and no one touched Auburns kicker, he just fell on his ass after the missed attempt.. We played bad enough to lose this game, receivers dropped passes, QBs missed open receivers and we tackled terribly... But the game should have gone to OT... jmho

8. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

I'm scared to throw the ball when he's in the game. If Randall sees an open receiver, he feels like he has to get it to him in 0.3 seconds...

9. Tigah-4u

Tigah-4u Freshman

not roughing the kicker

the LSU radio broadcast said it a new rule that a defensive player trying to block a FG or Xtra pt cannot land on top of the offensive line. What kind of BS rule is that? :cuss:

10. dothantiger

dothantiger Founding Member

Ok, Randall isn't all that accurate, but he had the experience. Russell doesn't have the experience, but he's a little more accurate. Randall led us down the field on the very first drive for a TD, and what was his reward??? BENCHED! From a player's perspective, what kind of attitude does that allow to set in? How about......"why try when I get benched anyway". I see what Nick was trying to do with the QB situation, but when it wasn't working, he should've put the senior in for the duration. Maybe he isn't great, but how can an offensive line be expected to adjust constantly to different QB habits and performances? Randall gave the confidence it took to win the game in that first drive alone. Russel has the next 3 seaons to suceed....let Randall play his senior year even though he may not be the best at the position.