Can the Holodeck be far behind this?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Bengal B, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I predict the first place you see this technology in use is for tank and armored vehicle crewmen. They could stay buttoned up behind the armor with no limited-view periscopes to compromise it. With the right sensors they could see full-color, infra-red, and millimeter-band radar imagery in 3D panoramic views on their helmet visors just like they had their head outside of the hatch. With GPS, stored digital terrain, imagery, and heads-up targeting info, it would be a major breakthrough for tankers.

Even aircraft could use it and dispense with unstealthy clear canopies. RPV pilots in Kansas could fly drones half a world away and have it look like they were there.

I'm buying stock in whoever is developing this for practical military uses, because the DoD will fund it and buy hundreds of thousands of them. What say you @alfredeneuman?

3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

When you find out just who that is, let me know please.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Lots of uses beyond military too. Doctors could perform surgery from thousands of miles away. I wouldn't fly in one but pilots could fly planes without actually being on them. Would probably work good for UPS and Fedex.
    Whoever uses the technology to create the first virtual dating site is going to make out like a bandit. Inventors could see what their inventions would look like from all angles before the make a prototype. With some advancement in 3D printing technology who combined with this who knows what is possible?

5. alfredeneuman

alfredeneuman Founding Member

Yep. Could always use an upgrade from what's being used now. Simulators haven't changed a whole lot since I was a young 2LT. Of course, DoD will pay 10X what it's really worth.

shane0911 likes this.
  6. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Or more unfortunately.

alfredeneuman and shane0911 like this.