Can TOPS be used while playing football?

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by old school, Feb 17, 2016.

1. old school

old school Veteran Member

With all the talk surrounding the budget shortfall I was wondering about this subject. Is it against the rules to have a player on TOPS instead of counting against the football scholarship limit? Another reason why I thought about it is because of the offer to both Miles and Moffet's boys. Should or could Miles let his son walk on and therefore save a scholarship for the team? Even if Miles had to pay 100% of his son's tuition and fees it would help the team and Miles as a coach indirectly.

2. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I believe a walk-on can be on Tops and not count against the scholarship limit. So yes that could happen.

If Tops is wiped out... the team you would have to worry about is LSU baseball. Partial scholarships and I believe 18 current players are currently using Tops to help offset the difference.

3. old school

old school Veteran Member

I was aware of the baseball situation, but I wasn't sure if they had tweaked the rule for football. Something I just thought of. At Tulane and Loyola, children of professors and staff get a tuition waiver. Does LSU have a similar rule? If I had to guess I would think not since it is a public institution.

4. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Not positive but you are probably on the right track.