CAROLINA/LSU BASEBALL GAME

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SouthernGent, Apr 18, 2002.

1. SouthernGent

SouthernGent Founding Member

What are your thoughts about this weekends match up??? It looks like two of Americas premier college baseball teams are set to do battle this weekend in Columbia. I'm not going to be able to attend. Are any of yall coming from Louisiana to Columbia??? I hope for a good series against yall. Good luck this weekend.

BTW, how was your spring game??? What are the expectations out of Baton Rouge this year??? We travel into Baton Rouge this year. I'll be lurking and posting from time to time to discuss our contest in the fall. Talk at yall later.

2. StLee

StLee Founding Member

Southern Gent,

The LSU baseball team is one of the hottest in the nation right now, and that sweep of Georgia last weekend helped to put South Carolina in first (of course, they did sweep their series, too). It will be a good series, but, don't take this wrong, I hope LSU kicks the Gamecocks' butts. :D

The LSU spring football game is April 27. I'll be there with notebook in hand and will be able to give you all of my feedback. I need to review my article on whodatzone.com from last year's spring game to see which young up-and-comers that did not play much in 2001 should step up to play a lot in 2002. I expect LSU to be even better this year despite losing some of our stars.

Here's what I think before I watch the game:
    QB- downgraded, but Mauck or Randall will bring a different game that can spread the defense out further (they'll have to keep a LB close to the line to contain the QB).
    RB- we lost no one and Toefield should be ready for fall practice. Addai is expected to be a great one.
    WR- lost Reed, but Robinson (who would have started in 2001) will be back from injury, Myers has been great for three years, and Michael Clayton is the REAL DEAL. He was amazing to watch in 2001 as a true freshman.
    TE- lost two really good ones but we signed two top TEs in 2001 who should help Edwards.
    OL- bigger, better, and badder. Soph C Wilkerson is hurt right now but he should be back by the fall and the line will be good. Expecting to be top rushing team in the SEC in 2002.
    DL- same as OL. Sophs Hill and Spears will be a great help, Allen will be a top DE in the SEC, and players like Lavalais and Dawson are solid in the middle.
    LB- Faulk was a big loss but LSU does return its other top LBs, Bradie James and Lawrence. Ledoux and Turner should help fill Faulk's shoes.
    DB- what used to be LSU's biggest weakness now could be a strength. Minus Ryan Clark, LSU does have some great freshmen signings who may get some PT in 2001. Gay and Daniels may earn the starting nods at CB, with previous starters Hookfin and Damond offering support in nickel and dime packages. Damien James played well at S and Jack Hunt, who used to be a receiver is supposedly looking good in practice (we'll see in the spring game). Moses can play, too.

I'll be watching for a lot of things in the spring game, but I do think LSU's defense will be dominant in 2002. They won't give up any of those high yardage games, at least they shouldn't. LSU's offense will not be as exciting as it was last year, but the running game will eat up a lot of yyards and a lot of clock.

3. SouthernGent

It sounds like yall should be in a good position to defend your SEC title. The trend is the SEC West is always anyones game, if you will. Everyone left Ole Miss for dead last year b/c of defensive problems, ole Eli is not a bad QB and I expect great things from Oxford. I think now, Ole Miss might be your "challenger" in the west, but LSU would get the nod from me to win the west.

Our spring game was "vanilla"! Andrew Pinnock is our RB and he's a bull and Ryan Brewer returns as a TB. Brewer is much for speed and size, but he's tough as a boot and he's all heart. TE's will be interesting this year. Hart Turner should be starting there. Corey Jenkins will be our starting QB. This is his last year of eligibility, but next year will be a QB battle. Recievers are good to go. Defense will hold its own IMO. IRT Baseball, I hope Carolina kicks YOUR but, but that's natural. It will be a great series and I look forward to it. Take care in Bayou Country!!!

AIYEEE!!!!!! ;-)

4. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

Great! Thanks!. I won't be able to make it so I appreciate any first hand reports.

5. SouthernGent

Hey, Great game Bayou Bengals! The final score was 9-8 LSU. I look forward to another close contest b/t two outstanding clubs on Saturday. Great effort tonight. I do not have stats on tonights game, but I think yall had a pretty good lead, but we came back but were short.

6. SouthernGent

Series tied 1-1. Carolina wins 4-2.

7. tigerman7024

tigerman7024 Founding Member

Good game last night, even though we came out on the losing end. :(

The rubber game is on right now, and LSU is trailing 1-0 in the 5th. I hope we can wake those bats up!!! Come on boys we need two out of three in this series.