Carry on luggage

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by shane0911, Jun 3, 2008.

1. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

just look at her and say "couldnt you have checked him?" :lol:

good luck!

2. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

I'm exactly the same way except replace purse with laptop bag. I fly all the time and have it down to a science.

My biggest complaint is people not being prepared at the bottle neck spots.

Here is Pharpe's guide to better air travel.

Security
    All items should be out of your pockets and in your bag, shoes untied and ready, and all 8oz or less liquids should be out and in a zip lock when you reach security. The security table is not the time to start organizing your stuff.

Boarding
    No loose items and no unsealed bags to fumble with. Get some decent luggage and pack everything in it to keep your hands free. Toss your roll-a-board in the bin as you walk down the isle then sit down and stuff your personal item under the seat. One fluid motion.

Everything I need for the flight is in my laptop bag that goes under my seat. I can get stuff in and out while seated and never block the isle.

If you insist on bringing a coat that won't fit in your bag, sit down and hold it on your lap until everyone gets on and stows their bag. You can then stuff it in somewhere and not hold up boarding or tie up needed bag space.

De-boarding
    Same as boarding. If everything you needed for the flight was in your personal item under the seat, then you can have it all back in there when you get to the gate. You'll just need to stand up with your personal item, pull your bag down from the overhead, and go. People that stand in the isle and have to screw with their bags should be taken out and flogged IMO.

This has been your helpful travel minute from Pharpe. Happy trails!

1 person likes this.
  3. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Natural selection at it's finest...:lol:

4. burlesontiger

burlesontiger Founding Member

I can completely identify. The HQ for my division of the company is in Apopka, so I fly to Orlando several times a year. The "Mickey Mouse" factor has put Orlando on the top of my list of airports I most hate to fly in or out of. My biggest pet peeve there is when flying out, going through security behind a family who has spent the week there and is trying to get 10 Wal-Mart bags full of stuff through the machines.

I understand most people don't fly very often, and it can be very complicated and confusing when kids are added (I have four, I know), but a little common sense goes a long, long way. I'd never be the type of person to cause a scene, so this topic is a great place for me to vent on the whole flying subject.

5. orlandotiger

orlandotiger GEAUX TIGERS!

Kid dead...sorry jacksonville for the missle at 1:23

1 person likes this.
  6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I can do a three-day business trip in two soft-sided briefcases. One for the laptop and the paperwork--one with shirts, socks, drawers, and the blasted tie. Ultra light.

For longer trips, I just check the heavy bag. I'm in no damned big hurry and I don't want to lug it around anyway. I get reimbursed for tipping sky caps and bellhops on business. They can use the cash and it don't cost me nothin'.

7. lsufaninmiss

lsufaninmiss GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sorry that you are having such a bad time already OT, and if you tell the mother anything, it is probably not gonna do any good, cause she will think her 10 year old can do nothing wrong.

I just say that because that is how some of our day care kids parents are. They think their children are innocent.

I hope your day gets better and you don't kill the kid.

8. burlesontiger

burlesontiger Founding Member

OK Red, gotta ask.......only 1 pair of pants (the ones you wear to the airport)?

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

If it's a short suit trip, I just wear the jacket and pants, so I can ditch the big bag. I carry a pair of shorts for knocking around a hotel room. You have to make sacrifices to travel ultra-light. There are irons in every room these days. Good suits can go three days if you aren't walking five miles in the Florida sun or something. If it's a bit wrinkled on the trip home, who really cares?

If it's not a business trip, I can travel for a week out of one rucksack and dress comfortably.

10. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i did that, too, but i was 28.