Casualties

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by SabanFan, Mar 23, 2003.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Coalition forces are taking casualties unnecessarily. In an effort not to be the imperialistic war mongerers that the whole world thinks we are anyway, we are surgically striking specific targets in an effort to decapitate the regime while sparing civilians. It's time to bring to bear the full might of our military, collateral damage be damned! Another thing. It was reported that Iraquis faked a surrender then opened fire on unsuspecting American soldiers. If true, from this point forward, a white flag is a target.

2. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

Although the soldiers violated rules of combat by faking surrender, we will still be held to the standards and rules of engagment and we can't fire on those appearing to surrender. I would like to be able to but I am afraid we can't. We can blow the hell out of a tank with shells but as soon as they wave the white flag there is a whole new set of rules.

3. JD

JD Founding Member

If you do that, you go against one of the basic theses of the war: regime change, liberate iraq and no argument against the iraqui people (and we don't have anything against them). You start accepting lots of civilian casualties and that statement goes in the toilet.

4. SabanFan

Tough. There's us and there's them. Take care of us then worry about them. I don't accept lots of American casualties. I would be much more tolerant of civilian casualties if our troops are protected.

5. JD

JD Founding Member

Then we have no basis to be over there other than to get rid of the WMDs. And that should be our singular focus.
    It would make no sense to say we will kill a bunch of civilians in order to free those that survive from SH - if that's the choice, it's the choice of the Iraqui, not ours.

6. SabanFan

It's a thin line. I don't advocate killing civilians. I only want to do what is necessary to afford maximum protection to our troops.

7. JD

JD Founding Member

Can't argue with that - a thin line it is.
    And it's hard to resist just pounding them considering their completely inhumane tactics.