CBS Sports: "Tide's latest national title deserves an asterisk"

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by JohnLSU, Jan 8, 2010.

1. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Bama fans having a heart attack over this...

PASADENA, Calif. -- Congratulations to the University of Alabama for winning the 2010 BCS national championship.*

Yes, that's an asterisk. If there was ever a title winner that deserved one, it's Alabama. Go ahead and stomp your feet and cry and pout 'Bama Nation (the death threats start in three, two, one ...) but it's true.
    Mack Brown added even more to Dennis Dodd of CBSSports.com, explaining the Longhorns would've easily beaten Alabama with a healthy McCoy. Brown is right. McCoy said on several different occasions in interviews after the game that the Longhorns were about to dominate and would have had he not been injured. He's right, too.

These aren't Texas coaches and players being bad losers. This is the reality of the game.

We'll just never know how good this Alabama team truly is. We'll never, ever know because of McCoy's absence. Indeed, it's possible there's never been a luckier championship team since the BCS format was adopted.
    Early on, the Longhorns had Alabama discombobulated. Saban tried a disastrous fake punt that failed. As the offense became bogged down, some Alabama players started to argue among themselves. One Crimson Tide player had to step between fellow teammates James Carpenter and Mike Johnson who were yelling at each other after a busted play. Wide receiver Marquis Maze had words for McElroy (and others) after another moment of miscommunication.

This was also not one of Saban's better days. He made some -- ahem -- curious calls. The fake kick was one and Saban early in the game changed the Alabama offense to a more wide open style instead of emphasizing Ingram. Later in the game, Saban tried a long kick, up 24-13, instead of pinning Texas deep in its own territory.

Then Gilbert actually started moving the ball (slightly) late in the game. Here was a freshman figuring out Saban even if that moment was fleeting.
    Saban will first be remembered for bringing glory back to Alabama by winning another Crimson Tide national championship.*

Tide's latest national title deserves an asterisk - NCAA Football - CBSSports.com

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Like we did in 2003? Bama has the crystal in their trophy case. End of story.

4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

This sounds oddly familiar.

I started a thread about the SEC winning 6 of the 12 BCS NCs.

And here was my comment in summation:

"Alabama's will be marked with as asterisk by the NCAA due to Colt McCoy going out of the game in the first 3 minutes of the game."

5. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

1 person likes this.
  6. downtown

downtown Founding Member

I took this from that article:

"They say when you injure a nerve like this as a quarterback, there's no direction in [your] balls," said McCoy...

Can anyone tell my why it mattered which way his balls were hanging? He didn't need his balls to get in there and run/throw for TDs, just his arms and legs. Now had they won, then maybe he would have needed his balls afterward and would have had relevant concerns about what shape his balls were in.

And I've officially reverted back to being a 5th grader...

Anyway, if Bama wouldn't have steamrolled Florida before this game, then maybe I'd give them less credit. But I still like that people aren't giving them full credit.

7. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

as far as im concerned they won. they had help getting there and got lucky with mccoy but those things happen.

and i say that keeping in mind it gags me, i think gumps are the most obnoxious and arrogant people on the face of the earth, and i never met a gump i liked. they are all passive-agressive, phony, arrogant asses. but they have the crystal and im not gonna put an asterik next to it like was done to us.

8. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

The article expresses my opinion to a T.

9. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

let me clarify. i still think with mccoy bama would have gotten their asses handed to them. and that would have made me incredibly happy. but he was injured and that was just a bad break for texas.

1 person likes this.
  10. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

maybe colt mccoy should learn how to take a hit.

1 person likes this.