Cedric Benson snubbed for this year's Heisman

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Dec 1, 2004.

1. shaqazoolu

shaqazoolu Concentrated Awesome

Freakin right dude. Now all we need is a getaway driver...hmmmmmmmmm....any volunteers?

I don't know, USC doesn't seem to know how to back things up with performance so I doubt we will have much resistance. I think after it happens they will all just start crying :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:. Or maybe Kirk Hirbstreit and his band of merry men will show up with the guy that rides the horse and try to pick a fight with us. We need to consider all possible outcomes and plan accordingly. :thumb: :thumb: :cool: :cool:

2. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody Founding Member

That promo on ESPN doesn't mean anything yet. The invites will go out next Tuesday. I'm pretty sure 5 guys are invited. I'm sure Benson will be one of them.

3. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

This thread made me go look at some stats for this season. a few things stood out to me.. anyone looked at this Stephan LeFors kid? 17tds, 2 picks... 188 rating.. thats off the charts.. 255 on the ground.. this guy should be in the voting... someone who is mysteriously missing from every statistical category.. Reggie Bush.. the guy is a gimic play.. thats all... screens and kickoff returns... lets just make Dante Hall the mvp of the NFL while we are at it..

4. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

I'll say this about Reggie Bush: in addition to sick, sick athletic ability, the guy just has "it".

I've watched SC a couple of times this year, but when the chips were down, it seems that it was Reggie Bush who, more often than not, made those back-breaker plays for the Trojans.

He's the type of player that, with the ball in his hands and some space between him and the nearest defenders, makes you hold your breath in anticipation that something fantastic is about to happen.

He's amazing.

I think this year's Heisman crop is pretty strong, and any of those guys are deserving of a win, IMO.

5. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

i agree, Bush should NOT be on the list, Lefors, Alex Smith , Aaron Rodger, and especially JJ Arrington, that kid is awesome, he averages 6.8 y/carry, he's about 170 yards behind Benson, but he still has one game left, he also has 14 TD"s
    if it does come down to Leinart-White, i think White should get it, since most of his TD's came in the important games, like @tamu and @okie state, leinarts TD's come from the likes of weak Pac ten teams.

6. AustinTXHorn

AustinTXHorn Founding Member

I'm sorry that you feel that way. Let's check out the facts. The number in parenthesis is national rush D rank.

Oklahoma (9): 23 carries, 92 yards (4 YPC)
    Kansas (24): 28 carries, 161 yards, 1 TD (5.8 YPC)
    Texas A&M (40): 33 carries, 165 yards, 1 TD (5 YPC)
    Rice (50): 20 carries, 189 yards, 1 TD (9.5 YPC)

Against the Big 12 South, Benson had 151 carries for 754 yards (5 YPC) and 10 touchdowns in five games. It sounds to me like "a great many" of Benson's yards have come against the better teams on the schedule. 165 yards against A&M? 5 touchdowns against Oklahoma State?

Not to mention the fact that Benson is in the top 5 ALL TIME in rushing and you're trying to tell me that he's not one of the five best this year alone?!? You don't get close to 5,500 yards in a career by just doing it against the Baylor's of the world. What Benson has done this year is made more amazing by the fact that every team stacks the front against him because they KNOW Texas will run. It's not like at OU where Peterson has Jason White to throw the ball for awhile and open up the run game.

By the way, I also think Benson should no doubt be ahead of Bush and Peterson.

EDIT: I think I should also mention Benson's numbers against ranked teams this year. 145 carries, 716 yards, 9 touchdowns (5 YPC) in 5 games. 716 yards in 5 games against ranked teams...doesn't sound like he's beating up on the Baylor's of the world to me.

7. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Was the 9.5 YPC agaisnt Rice supposed to be impressive? I stand by my thoughts on Benson. In "big" games,traditionally, throughout his time at Texas, he hasn't been a difference maker--and I'm not talking about stats, but impact on the games.

Perhaps that's why Reggie Bush is being considered. He's single-handedly carried USC several times this season alone. Benson has been unable to do that at UT.

Again, this is just one person's humble opinion, but people in other places, obviously, aren't all that impressed, either.

8. KTeamLSU

KTeamLSU Founding Member

If Benson was given the Heisman, it would be given for his career, not necessarily this season. Although, I add, If Texas would have beat OU... he would probably be a front runner. Thats just the way the cookie crumbles.

9. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Sound like you are making a judgement of this year based on his entire career. That's not how it works.

10. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

The thing that hurts Benson is the OU game this year. It was his only poor outing of the year. And it was the most important game of the year.

Peterson being injured and sharing votes between himself and White hurt him. I thought Peterson had the inside track before the injury. I think White has taken over the lead since then (last 3 games).

Same thing for White, Leinhart and Bush (the sharing factor).

This should be one of the closest votes in the history of the award, with as many as 5 players in close proximity votes wise.