Cedric Benson snubbed for this year's Heisman

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Dec 1, 2004.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

White has 30 TDs, so their stats are pretty much what and what. Both play 1 more game, with the Big-12 championship being a bigger game for White to shine in versus the weak UCLA opponent Leinhart faces.

UCLA's pass defense is etrocious, should be fun to see how long Leinhart keeps throwing before Petey calls off the dogs.

They could end up with identical stats of somewhere around 33 TDs and 5 INTs.

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Bush is in it cuz he is a triple threat, with the most damaging part of his game coming in the special teams department.

If you could imagine Joseph Addai having a year returning punts like Skyler had last year (but extend it to kickoff returns as well) and with Addai's ability to beat you running or catching passes like he did this year, then you basically have Reggie Bush's year summed up.

But it's hard to look at a guy with unimpressive rushing stats at the running back position (122 carries for 629 yards, 5.2 avg and 4 TDs) and think that he could be in the Heisman race. But indeed he is. He also has 35 receptions for 405 yards and 7 TDs).

Punt returns, he has 21 returns for 350 yards a 16.7 avg with 2 TDs. Kick returns, he has 27 returns for 462 yards and a 27.2 average.

3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I think they are all impressive and Lefors is too, as is the guy from Utah. A hard vote this season, White, Bush, Leinart and Peterson all playing a 12th game will have an advantage. It could definitely be won this weekend, in years past it would have been handed out already. I would vote for arrington, he's impressed the heck out of me, but I ahve to give Benson some props this year and hope they don't count his last few years either against him or for him. I hate the career Heisman awards they have given out to guys like the Nebraska QB. I think the voters seem to be on a kick similar to the years they voted the Michigan guys a Heisman(Howard & ? the DB) and they were vesatile types like Bush so Bush is my guess to who is going to win it.

4. AustinTXHorn

AustinTXHorn Founding Member

I posted what he has done against top 50 rush defenses. They are a top 50 rush defense.

He has not had an impact against Missouri, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma State?!?!?

What is five touchdowns in one game? What is 160 yards and absolutely controlling the game? Is the Oklahoma game Texas' only big game in your mind?

How can 160+ yards per game not be a difference maker?

Also, islstl is right. The heisman is not a career award...it is THIS year. But even if you do go back to last year, what about his 180 yard performances against Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and Nebraska and the 200+ yard performance against A&M? Those are all big games. He had a major impact on all of them.

I'm just trying to figure out how one person can be the centerpiece of a team's offense, get 160-180 yards in a big game, and not be considered a "difference maker".

5. shaqazoolu

shaqazoolu Concentrated Awesome

My fault....I must have looked at his 2003 stats for that one... :grin:

6. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

there's no doubt Benson has has been a difference maker, but in the last few games, i think he's been overshadowed by Vince Young, Young led the comebacks against Kansas and Okie State, not to mention converting 4th and 18(?) on the game winning drive vs kansas, Young has been more a difference maker the last few games, so i think Benson has drifted a bit off the Heisman radar cuz of it

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

heisman is nothing more than the award to the best offensive player on the best team 99% of the time. nothing more. many more deserved players have been snubbed over the years and will forever continue. many of the same hacks who screw up the AP and know nothing about any player not on their list of top 10 teams year in and year out, screw this up as well. what do you expect. Too bad Gino Torreta doesn't have a little brother @ qb starting for Miami.

8. AustinTXHorn

AustinTXHorn Founding Member

I'll agree with that. Benson was a major difference maker, but Vince Young was the key to the comebacks against Oklahoma State and Kansas. He's really come along nicely this year after a rough middle of the season.

9. Fritzz

Fritzz Founding Member

I agree with you. He is my first pick in NFL. BTW, how many games in a row did he score a TD? 40 games?

10. USChater

USChater Founding Member

But Benson couldnt do it against OU. FInal word!