CFN Article on Auburn-LSU Game

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Proud Tiger, Oct 22, 2007.

1. DRC

DRC TigerNator

Straight from the SEC replay book:

Not Reviewable:

1. Fighting participants
    2. Off-sides/Encroachment
    3. Pass interference
    4. Roughing passer/kicker
    5. Illegal formations
    6. Taunting/excessive celebrations
    7. Face mask
    8. Taunting
    9. Illegal blocks
    10. Holding
    11. Personal fouls

If they were reviewing the formation they shouldn't have been.

http://www.secsports.com/doc_lib/fbc_replay_policy.pdf

2. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Thanks for the info on non reviewable calls. And they were reviewing Hester's dive into the end zone for the TD.

3. DRC

DRC TigerNator

I agree but what made the officials look bad is the fact they didnt wave off that penalty before the review of Hester being in the end zone. They opened themselves up to unnecessary criticism and would completely taken away that point if they had just waved off the flag right away. The flag had no bearing on the play and they introduced confusion by handling it the way they did.

4. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

This article should have been written last year. Valid points to be sure but, Tubby had an oppotunity to challenge the spot and he didn't. I am happy to beat him but even happpier to make his stomach burn when he thinks about it. Much as many of us did when remembering last year's loss to Auburn.

5. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

regarding the illegal formation:
    it's correct that it is not a reviewable foul, so how did the flag get "picked up?" That's what the AU staff was bent about. It was an illegal formation, the proper flag was thrown, and then it was subsequently picked-up when in fact it should have been enforced. The play should only have been reviewed for one purpose, and that is to confirm the spot so that the penalty options could be properly defined. Dem's da' breaks .....

regarding block on Dorsey:
    everybody's been trashing Bosley and he's not even the guilty party. If either of the announcers knew what the "hayul" they were talking about, they would've recognized that Ziemba was supposed to slide-out and block-high on the DE or to double and block-low on Dorsey. Either way, Bosley was doing the exact same thing that most OL coaches require (including Studrawa) on gap-cover adjustment for a 3-step drop play.

Happens all the time. Bosley was originally head-up on the LB who adjusted-over following Cox's audible. No longer having a head-up defender, Bosley is required to adjust inside-to-outside in gap cover, and since it was a 3-step drop, he's required to block low on Dorsey. He did this to perfection, and without malice, as the replay clearly shows. The freshman OT, Ziemba, blew his assignment by either (a) not blocking Dorsey low on the double, or (b) by failing to adjust gap-cover and slant to the DE on a high block.

I'm not taking away anything from the severity of the foul, nor am I trying to minimize what should have been (IMO) a penalty, but it seems that Ramsey is getting unfairly roasted because the average fan is reacting to the unintelligent comments of the announcing crew. It's very easy to see their error from the replay although I can see why anyone would miss it on the initial live-call.

IMO, the rule governing the difference between a cut-block and a chop-block should be modified to take the subjectivity out of the referee's hands. In my mind, it's a lot easier to consistently police these types of blocks if you make all of them a foul.

Once again, I'm glad Dorsey's injury is only a sprain, that's great news for him and for the team. Not trying to be disagreeable, only trying to set the record straight. There's a lot that can be accomplished by using this event to make progress in officiating the game, but singling out Ramsey would be a grave error considering he was doing what every team routinely does today.

Now, go whup up on Bama :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  6. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

Here's my take on the Flag pickup. It did seem like our receiver on the nearside of the field (on the TV) was maybe a little off but it is hard to say in today's game where the offensive line doesn't even line up straight. On pass plays the outside tackles usually line up a yard behind the rest of the line to pass protect from the speedy DE's coming in on the rush. So, in relation to the left tackle I'm not sure how much the WR was off, I would have to see a picture of it.

Second of all, the official that was on the side of the field in which the "penalty" was did not throw a flag. I am fine with that, officials miss calls like that all the time. The flag was thrown by the official on the other side of the field and the flag was thrown a couple seconds after the snap went off too. And what i'm guessing is that the official on the nearside of the field told the official that threw the flag that there was no penalty because he was on that side looking for it. That is my thinking behind the officials picking up the flag. I'm not saying whether it should have been a flag or not, I haven't seen the play since it happened.

It is not as bad as last year @ Auburn, where they actually announced the penalty to everyone. THEN, changed the call, when really they had it right the first time. All you can really do is move on though.
    I'm sure we hear a lot griping from Bama fans about the missed PI call in 2004 on Corey Webster :grin:

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

This is a problem for Auburn if so.

Wrong, it may have been his assignment, but the rules of football clearly state that he is required NOT to chop block a defender who is being blocked high. Period.

He illegally chopped a man being blocked high,this was a MISTAKE, not perfection! And explain to us again how a replay can show whether a player intended malice or not. Only a fool would say that.

This does NOT relieve Ramsy of the requirement to NOT CHOP a man being blocked high. Rules are there to be followed, lame excuses be damned. If Auburn uses a blocking scheme that turns into illegal chop blocks if someone simply misses his assignment, then the coaches share responsibility for this and need to change it.

Ramsey is getting roasted because he illegally chopped an All American that was whipping his freshman ass. The replay shows that clearly enough.

Funny, it sounds like you're trying to rewrite the record and absolve your player.

Can you prove that "every" team does it?

8. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Pardon my ignorance but don't the receivers "check" whether they are on the line with the ref on the sideline ? Maybe the ref on TT's side told the ref that threw the flag that he had cleared TT's position as being on the line. Is this explanation even plausible ?

9. Missing LSU

Missing LSU Founding Member

1 person likes this.
  10. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.