CFN: Odds of winning the BCS Championship Game

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DarkHornet, Mar 29, 2006.

1. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/2006/Features/BCS_Odds.htm

They don't even have us in their Top 25 teams with a chance to win the BCS.

Every game on our schedule next year IS winnable, so I'd at least think we'd be in the Top 15 with a chance, but...

2. Broke

Broke Founding Member

Miami # 7
    Tennessee # 15

Have they been watching the same football I have been watching??

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Even if you calculate that we lose two out of four SEC road games and finish 10-2, we would still be a top-15 team with a long-shot chance. The guy admits it in his last sentence.

4. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Funny.. I see LSU at #9... 9th ranked for a chance to win the national title isnt too shabby, considering LSU's schedule next year.. EVEN years remember? Teams like USC will always be at teh top of the list because they don't play anyone...

5. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

I trust, therefore, that CFN also ranked Tennessee's 2005 chances as "lousy" as well, for games against LSU, Florida, Notre Dame, etc..

Consistency is the key to legitimacy, I say...

6. DarkHornet

They must have corrected their site or something, because I'm 99% sure that this morning LSU was not on that list.

At any rate, I don't expect LSU to win a National Championship this next year, but I just thought we should be somewhere in the Top 25 with a chance.

7. gotlsu

gotlsu Founding Member

FOX HAS US AT 4

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/5278702

4. LSU
    2005 Record:
    11-2

Why LSU could be the Pre-preseason No. 1:
    All the concerns and worries about Les Miles have to be gone now. Not only did Miles finish with an 11-2 record, by far the best record in recent LSU history outside of the 2004 national title season, he did it with all the distractions around the program thanks to Hurricane Katrina. Oh yeah, and the team is, once again, really, really, really good with RB Alley Broussard returning from injury, the best, and fastest, receiving corps in America, and a quarterback situation that roughly 110 other teams would die for with JaMarcus Russell returning from injury, Matt Flynn a proven winner, and Ryan Perrilloux a superstar just waiting to bust out. The return of LaRon Landry at safety, when he could've been an early round draft pick, is a big boost to What should be a strong secondary.

Why LSU isn't the Pre-preseason No. 1:
    All-America defensive tackles Claude Wroten and Kyle Williams were killers and won't easily be replaced. The loss of sack machine Melvin Oliver off the line isn't a plus. The offensive line has to undergo an almost complete overhaul.

What LSU needs to do to get to the BCS Championship Bowl:
    Survive the SEC. The first five games of the season (UL Lafayette, Arizona, Northern Illinois, Tulane, and Mississippi State) is perfect to get all the pieces in place, but then things turn brutal with road trips ahead at Florida, Auburn, Tennessee and Arkansas, along with a home date against Alabama to worry about.

Realistic, feet-on-the-ground, goal to shoot for:
    The SEC title. With the SEC road slate the Tigers have to deal with, kiss all BCS Championship Bowl dreams bye-bye. Even so, this is one of the nation's best teams with enough talent to not only get back to the SEC championship game, but to also win it.

The number one thing to work on is:
    Kickoff returns and turnover margin. The Tigers were 12th in the nation in punt returns thanks to Skyler Green, but they struggled on kickoff returns averaging 17.04 yards per try. Considering the speed and talent on the defense, it's a big shocking that they only forced 14 turnovers.

Biggest offensive loss:
    OT Andrew Whitworth

Biggest defensive loss:
    DTs Claude Wroten and Kyle Williams

8. DarkHornet

Re: FOX HAS US AT 4

Note for anyone who posts something coming from FoxSports: 99% of the time (including this one) if you look at the top line of the article, you'll see that it was pulled from CollegeFootballNews.com.