CFN's Fiutak on LSU's supposed "Elite" program

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by locoguano, Jun 3, 2005.

1. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/2005/Ask_CFN/Ask_CFN.htm

Yes, I know I dont have to post every slight i see against LSU, but its summer, and I'm bored.

2. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I was just about to post it. Here's the rest, that comes before the part about LSU.

Yea... ouch. He brings up a very good point though. As much as LSU wants to believe that we are this amazing program, we haven't produced those results (except one year - as he mentions). Even under Saban, whom many consider to be a savior, we only had one year where we lost less than 3 games. This should bring us back to reality a little bit.

On the other hand, we have one of the most talented teams in the country - no exaggeration, most people recognize that. We retained our Offensive coordinator, OL coach, & weight/conditioning coach.

Then he goes on to say that Florida can win the SEC despite their weaknesses, yet LSU's fans expectations are to high!!?!?!!

The truth is, had Meyer come to LSU - the world would be saying that LSU will win the national championship next year. Meyer was the hottest commodity out there & the media is tossing his salad. The reason people are doubting LSU is because they are unsure of Miles. Hell, I think most LSU fans are unsure - so I don't blame them.

Miles has to prove himself next year, and I can't think of a better group of players a coach could hope to do that with.

3. CParso

CParso Founding Member

The media seems to think that the players at Florida are among the greatest athletes in the country, and the only reason they lost 5 games year, basically every year, is because of the coaching... I find this hard to believe. I think Meyer will be able to improve on what Zook did because he's a better coach - but he's still got the same players. :confused: :confused:

4. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Hey, take it for what it's worth, the guy is right. Elite teams don't lose at least three a year.

But we'll hopefully be able to climb that ladder in the very near future though.

5. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Yes you do. We need as many people to dog as possible. The longer our sh*tlist grows, the more 'we told ya so's' we can dish out come January! :D

6. tiger777

tiger777 Founding Member

this is what has everybody so excited. Before 2 years ago we where an elite team. Last year we lost 2 games on 2 plays. It took a long time to get the talent level up to an elite status like we are now and everybody just wants it to stay like that. I believe we will have a much better year the florida also.

7. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

IMO, that's true to some degree. LSU is a talent-laden program courtesy of the foundation laid by Saban. The fact that Meyer was considered - by many - to be more heralded than Miles is the reason expectations are so high at UF.

Meyer was certainly a hot commodity, but it doesn't guarantee a championship and the UF fans that attended the Gator spring game saw only what Meyer intended them to see..... that is to say, they saw what Zook could not deliver - a passing attack.

LSU has better talent on both sides of the ball than UF, and certainly better depth, and your schedule is going to be slightly more favorable than UF's. I see Meyer losing 2-3 games this season, but it's hard to fathom a scenario (other than key injuries) that would affect LSU in the same manner.

No, I think LSU and UT are the teams to beat in their respective divisions. The 3 best defenses in the SEC are all in the West, so that should dictate a lot.

8. LSUHotdog

LSUHotdog Founding Member

Earth to Fiutak. We play in the freaking SEC. No mention of the SECC's or New Year's bowl games...

USC plays in the PAC 10, and the BIG 12 is a joke which manifested itself in the NC game.

9. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

he references 1996... look at the recruiting classes saban had.. they are just now coming around to be seniors.. our championship year didnt have a team FULL of elite prospects... it does now...

10. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Based on the numerous posts here regarding fans with "unrealistic expectations for LSU", I'm not sure even most LSU fans consider us to be "the elite of the elite".

By definition, such status is hard to come by, and in recent years belongs to teams like Oklahoma, USC, Miami...and that's about it.

There are plenty of excellent programs---Texas, LSU, Florida State, Michigan---that normally lose 2, 3, even 4 games (not so bad if your conference plays has a title game) a year and, every so often, bust out an undefeated or one-loss year.

I'm happy that LSU is rounding into a perennial top 10 program. Gosh, what LSU fan wouldn't be happy about that?