CFN's Fiutak on LSU's supposed "Elite" program

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by locoguano, Jun 3, 2005.

1. USNavyTiger

USNavyTiger Founding Member

I honestly dont think that LSU really has many "expectations" from the general media. We have a brand new coach, and for most programs is a BIG question mark... however, most LSU fans KNOW how loaded we are this year and how blessed are scheduling is...

I guess we'll have to see how it plays out on the field huh?

I would LOVE for LSU to have Florida and the Urban myth for Tiger Bait in the SECCG.... would make the season that much sweeter....

2. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

Elite teams do not lose FIVE games in three consecutive years like Florida has done. Oh, wait, FREE PASS, it's Urban's team.

3. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

You have to look beneath the surface when evaluating coaches. EVERYONE I talk to (outside of this forum, i.e. in the real world,) thinks the CLM hire was a bad decision. I always ahve to explain that he was playing second fiddle to Oklahoma, Texas; hell, pretty much the entire Big 12. I go on to explain that that would be like Tulane, ULM, or La Tech being competitive in Louisiana. None of those teams can come CLOSE to beating LSU, yet Miles was competitive against one of the best programs in the country. Miles has the right persona for LSU. He is enthusiastic and football-hungry. He is going to be a coach that LOVES LSU, and isn't afraid to show it. He'll be a coach that will be kind of cocky once things come around... Dear college football fans of America, I introduce to you: the NEW Steve Spurrier...

Seriously, look how amped up this guy gets, can you imagine what he'll be like against North Texas? Sure UM is a great coach, but I think you need to find a coach that fits your school! Saban, God bless him, always seemed to be so passe' when it came to supporting the school. Of course he loved LSU, but it always seemed so business-like, it's hard to know if he was sincere or not. For the record, I believe he WAS sincere, and I have NO reason to believe otherwise. It just always seemed like LSU was a career-choice with Saban--nothing wrong with that! But, with CLM, it seems like he WANTS to coach at LSU for the pure enjoyment of it. I couldn't be more happy to have Miles as our coach.... alls I gots ta' say is... LET 'ER RIP (damn that cliche' will get old...)

4. Perple

Perple Founding Member

Pete Fiutak changes his mind quite a bit:

Fiutak Feb 23:

"Following a methodical career path, Miles, 51, has ascended to the upper echelon of the college coaching profession. In just four years, he led Oklahoma State out of a funk, and gained national recognition for knocking off Oklahoma twice..."

"After working small wonders at a school that was the clear stepchild in its own state (OSU), it’ll be interesting to see what the coach can accomplish at an elite program. Retaining Jimbo Fisher and luring Bo Pelini out of Oklahoma, gives Miles a pair of top young coordinators with lots of big-game experience

More Meyer butt kissing:

"At Bowling Green, he engineered the biggest turnaround of any team in 2001, and led the Falcons into the Top 25 a year later."

"His rebuilding plans can be measured by an hour glass, so you can fit Florida for an SEC crown within two years."

Bowling Green 2002 ranked in the Top 25?? Nope! 9-3 Bowling Green was ranked in 2003 under new coach Gregg Brandon. 11-3..

5. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

What a hypocrite

6. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Shirley, you're joking , right? :D

[​IMG]

7. BamaHeelBengal

BamaHeelBengal Founding Member

Parso nailed it. Both Miles and Meyer are good coaches but they haven't won anything yet, Time is the author of all authors so after a couple of years we'll see who's got what.

8. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

That's right, coaching at the second fiddle state school in a Super Conference doesn't count. Compairing Miles success to Stoops, would be like SHULA to TUBERVILLE? Oops, wait! Miles can BEAT Stoops.

Miles turned around a cheatin' dog program into a respectiable 7/8 win team and three bowl apperances. But I can tell you what time has authored recently, Alabama can not win without cheating!

Thank you for chimin' in. I'd almost bought into this Auburn is the biggest evil in Alabama thinking. I forgotten how smug, arrogant, and condescending the Tide following can be.

9. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Whoa, calm down. All he did was say that Miles hasn't proven himself yet - and he hasn't. He has proven he can win big games. He hasn't proven he can win championships on a consistent basis, or that he can keep LSU at the apparently sometimes, yet sometimes not, elite status.

There are plenty of good things to find about Miles and plenty of LSU fans are confident that he'll keep LSU football where we deserve to be. However, plenty of other LSU fans see that Miles hasn't produced championships & he'll have to prove himself at LSU. It's just a matter of differing opinions.

Just because an Alabama has a differing opinion than you doesn't mean it's any less valid. He just said the same thing I said earlier & yet you didn't say a single thing to me about it. He wasn't trying to be smug, arrogant nor condescending.

10. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

IMO, the good news is that the (national) media hasn't dogged Miles with the hype that Meyer has sustained. And I don't get it with Meyer. Sure he has good talent to work with ($5 to Zooker) , but not as good as Saban left behind for CLM.

I'll take a stout Defense over a gimmicky offense any day of the week. Besdies, I would think LSU will be favored against UF, and that prolly says a lot. :thumb: