Chad Jones to the NFL draft....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by mctiger, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Seaward

Seaward Fear have you?

Could he be doing this because of the potential of there being no football in 2011 which I would assume would effect the draft for that year? Also with next year being a non salary capped year maybe could help him maximize how much he could negotiate as far as a signing bonus then if there would be no football in 2011 he could go to baseball and cash in twice while atleast for one year only having to concentrate on one sport.

2 people like this.
  2. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Isn't the world supposed to end in 2012 any way? :wink:.

1 person likes this.
  3. LSU-SIU

LSU-SIU Founding Member

Jones could use another year, Peterson could go right now if he were a junior. Either way good luck to him.

4. Lincoln

Lincoln Freshman

this may be wishful thinking but i think he'll pull a B. Lafell and pull out of the draft after a little thinking and come back for another year...wasn't Lafell projected high also?

5. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

If everything goes the way Goodell wants it too, being a thrid rounder this year will pay as much as a first rounder next.

Of course it's a big if, but I think some of these guys will take a chance because of it.

6. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

In MLB it's all about the signing bonus. Where youa re picked is of little significance. They have guys that get drafted in the 5th round that get higher signing bonuses than guys drafted in the first. It depends on the risk of drafting the player. For example, if you use your first round pick on a top rated player and he decided to go to school, you lose your pick. On the other hand, you may use a 4th or 5th round pick on that same guy knowing it will take a ton of money to get him to sign. Then if he doesn't, you didnt lose much.

For example a guy I know of was drafted in the early 2nd round. He is still in AA ball. Makes like 35k per year salary, but he got 650k signing bonus.

I also know the guy drafted before him only got a 125k signing bonus and makes about the same salary.

A NFL guy drafted in the early second is going to make around 1 to 3 mil per year depending on your position.

1 person likes this.
  7. jrbjr

jrbjr Freshman

He and Mitchell are the only (I think) NCAA athletes with team championships in 2 sports. I'll miss him, but now here's Loston's chance. Good luck, Chad!

8. paducahmichael

paducahmichael Tiger Band Class of '73

OK - I must have missed something...no football in 2011? How come? Pro or college?

9. Dmarzio

Dmarzio Founding Member

<---- that one?

10. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

He's not a Laron Landry caliber safety yet...could have been with one more year. But it's his decision and wish him the best and hope he represents LSU well in the NFL. He should do well at the combine and hopefully boost his stock. Whether he will do well in the NFL, is still yet to be seen...but thanks for continuing the tradition of LSU safeties terrorizing Alabama QB's :thumb: