Chancellor O'Keefe comments on LSU confederacy flag

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Carface, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Carface

Carface What the...?

One good thing about Chancellor O'Keefe is that he's very open to speaking to the public. Below is an excerpt from today's edition of the Reveille (rest of article here: http://www.lsureveille.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/04/01/424d4f6467bcf )

2. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

The gist of this is that LSU can do nothing about it. The purple and gold Confederate Flag displayed by tailgaters does not contain any LSU trademarks or symbols.

3. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

"Jason Droddy, executive assistant to the chancellor, said O’Keefe has been thinking about students’ concerns about the flags since the issue was brought to his attention at O’Keefe’s first Chat with the Chancellor."

Seems to me that these students who are so concerned about this "issue" would be better off worrying a little bit more about getting an education, and a little bit less about trivial matters like what kind of flag somebody is flying at their tailgate party.

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

leaders often have to pander to the loudest and most offended, right or wrong. that sucks.

if he really wants this family dialogue crap, he would encourage everyone to express whatever symbols and views they have, regardless of the content of those views. even nazis.

5. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

I think I'll bring mine down on the 16th. Just for fun.:thumb:

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I'm on record as pro-free speech. I also have defended the confederate flag here, I own one myself, and I fly it on Confederate Memorial Day.

But a confederate flag in association with SEC sports is an OLE MISS thing. Tiger fans should take care not to promote an Ole Myth symbol, even if it is purple and gold.

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

red is right. but as a leader i would just shut up about it. its like wearing an ole miss cap to an lsu game. its just no big deal. a real serious fan wouldnt do it, but it makes no difference and deserves no comments from administrators.

8. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

right, that idiot shouldn't draw any attention to that tiny sect of tiger fans. Next thing you know it's a big issue in the papers, then ESPN coverage with those idiots foaming at the mouths, and then Pete Carrol is using it to recruit some of our best black players. The controversy will snowball and divisions will appear like torn earth from an earthquake, until nearly everyone chooses a side, based largely on race association. O'Keefe will be overthrown as chancelor in favor of David Duke, who will quickly enact symbolic cross burnings before games, especially embellished when playing largely black teams for the fear factor.

But in the end, our 1950s throwback teams will be routinely dismantled, even by U of L, and I will be forced to focus soley on NASCAR.

Just shut-up O'Keefe

9. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

Once I wore a Tulane shirt to a LSU home football game. I was 9 years old at the time, not aware of the rivalry that had previously existed. My dad, who is from Metairie, for some reason didn't tell me about the endless crap that I would subsequently receive from surrounding drunk 50 year old men.

10. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

Used to be an Ole' Piss thing. Thanks to the same crap we are about to witness, the Rebels can't fly a Confederate flag. I sat in that poor excuse for a high school stadium of theirs for years watching flags waving and listening to Dixie being played by their band. I remember that most of the LSU fans would stand up and clap along with everyone else, unless the Rebs had just scored or something.

We have gone though a similar ordeal up here in West Monroe. We are, as if you didn't know, the Rebels also. As a kid, I can remember when there used to be a HUGE Confederate flag along the entire home side of the stadium and the water tower down the block had a very large flag on it also. In this new, modern, make everybody feel good about themselves era that we now live in, however, things like that are not pc. It's a wonder they even play Dixie anymore. I'm sure by time my kids are old enough to remember, they want be playing it anymore. One day they will probably rename the team the West Monroe Paper Millers or something. When we score a touchdown everyone will stand up and fart at the same time. I'm depressing myself so I will shut up now.:(