Chancellor O'Keefe comments on LSU confederacy flag

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Carface, Apr 1, 2005.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The Rebels of West Monroe, Pineville, and Robert E. Lee in Baton Rouge ain't what they used to be. All have toned down their old looks. In the 50's and 60's Pineville's band wore Confederate artillery bandsmens uniforms complete with forage caps. It continued into the 70's and it was always amusing to see the black Pineville bandsmen in their confederate uniforms with big Afros sticking out from beneath their caps.

2. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

Don't forget red, there were alot of blacks in confederate uniforms durring the war. And for those who don't know, believe it or not, those thousands of blacks chose to fight for the south.

3. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but why do people need to make an issue about nothing? It's a damn flag for crying out loud. If a frickin' flag makes you THAT upset, you have major sensitivity problems! Most of these black students who are complaining have NO idea what it was like to be a slave anyway! I see things everyday which offend me, yet do I have the audacity to complain about something that I can simply turn my head to? At Nicholls, my good friend Paul Hypolite (president of the NAACP on campus) was fighting againt the use of the Colonel mascot, and I sat down and talked with him. I sympathized with him and offered my help and support on anything he needed, but my main statement to him was that a lot of black students these days want to do something positive and they want to do something to change the past. That's it. How can something so trivial offend so many? My guess is that it doesn't offend them at all, they just want to make a scene.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

And now there is this from this morning's Advocate:

'Rebels' fading away

Lee High to cheer for Patriot mascot next year

By SONYA KIMBRELL and CHARLES LUSSIER
    Advocate staff writers

Images of Colonel Rebel are hard to find at Baton Rouge's Robert E. Lee High School, but the school mascot has been the Rebels since 1959. That will change next year.

The Lee High Rebels will be known next year as the Patriots, thanks to the school's decision late last month to change its mascot.

As the Rebels, the school had long ago abandoned Confederate flags and the more-controversial practices associated with schools named after Southern Civil War leaders.

Link

5. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

Then it would follow that the school's actual name, Robert E. Lee High School, will also be changed shortly. Similar to the name changes that occured at several New Orleans area schools after black leaders came to power in that city (most notably, changing the name of Francis T. Nicholls High School to Frederick Douglass High School)

A shame, because Robert E. Lee was truly a great man who had very little sympathy with slaveowners and racists.

6. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

Same with Francis T. Nicholls. I did some research on him since I am a Nicholls State student, and I learned a lot of things that the NAACP forgot to mention. Mostly, it was trivial, meaningless things like the fact that Nicholls didn't own many slaves and the VERY few that he DID own, he freed well before anyone forced him to. He was also very very good to his "slaves." So good in fact that a lot of people considered them more as servants instead of slaves! People just like to complain about nothing that's all.

7. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

Very true. Also, to this day, possibly the finest soldier this nation has ever produced.

8. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

You won't find ME disagreeing with that statement!

9. crawfish

crawfish Founding Member

pass the kool-aid!