Character of this team

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Winston1, Sep 14, 2010.

1. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

To me, a 27-3 :)yelwink2:) victory is the most impressive. You can't always depend on a good offense, but dominating defense wins consistently.

2. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

which is why I think we will have a great season this year. defense has looked dynamite, imo. competition will get stiffer, so we will find out in the coming weeks just how good.

3. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

So true. It's exciting to watch offensive explosion, but if given a choice, I'll take dominant defense and victories.

4. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Which this is my point. If we can produce this type of solid wins week in and week out, minus mistakes and have consistant play, I will be more than happy.

5. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

We don't need a Top 10 draft pick QB, just someone who can reliably put the ball into those talented receivers' hands and give our RBs some breathing room to do their thing and wear down the front 7. LSU gets that going and that's going to be a tough team to beat.

6. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

I'd say that if this years team reminds me of any that LSU has fielded in recent years, it would be the 2005 team. Although we are only 2 games into the season, there are a few comparisons of note:

In 2005, we gave up a million yards to a non-conference QB (Keller) in game one, then let Tennessee mount a 21pt comeback in the second half in game two. There are a lot of similarities between the aggregate of those 2 games and game 1 this year. A second-rate QB (Yates) throws for an ungodly amount of yards, catalyzing a monumental second-half comeback. The only difference is that this comeback was fortunately quelled in the waning moments of the contest.

After the Tennessee debacle in 2005, it was onto Vandy. With very serious questions about our defense/Pelini, LSU storms into Nashville and beats up on the hapless Commodores. The defense yielded a minimum of yards, and continued to improve from that point forward. Big difference here is that Vandy was led by future NFL star Jay Cutler.

The obvious flaw in this comparison is that the team did not have to deal with the distractions of 2 major hurricanes pounding the region at the beginning of the season. However, through the first couple of games, there do seem to be some noteworthy similarities.

7. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

i guess i already beat this into the ground, but i would take yates over jefferson in a heartbeat. but that doesn't mean that our coaching staff would be able to utilize him anyway.

8. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

That's really not saying much at all. There aren't a lot of starting Div-IA QBs that I wouldn't take over him with the way that he's played lately.

9. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

i agree. was just commenting on Stafford since he was the QB on the team you were comparing us to.