Charlie Strong possible candidate for LSU job

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DownOnTheBayou, Oct 19, 2016.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

After you sit in the Big Chair it's demeaning to be moved down. If it's done against one's will, not an easy place to work from. Kind of an undermining in eyes of subordinates.

2. kluke

kluke Founding Member

And in addition, if you accomplish enough as an interim that you feel you've earned the job - - and then you're asked to move down, its a bad situation for both the new and interim coach. O was right to leave USC - that kind of tension could be a locker room killer.

3. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

aSo realistically speaking what HC hire could LSU make that retains O? Would a Petersen, Meyer, Fisher, Herman hire keep O on staff assuming he's given the assoc. head coach tag?

This is the exact reason I wasn't big on O being named interim. If he goes 3-2 or 4-1 over the remaining schedule, depending on the fashion of those losses, he may feel he earned the spot. Would he join Kiffen and Sarks in Bama?

LSU kind of opened a Pandora's box on this move. LSU should've waited to fire Miles until after the last game of season then made a serious $$$ push at their 4 top picks.

4. kluke

kluke Founding Member

I understand, you're saying he would face opposition because hes black - and I think you're wrong. Charlie would face opposition for sure - but its because of his results at Texas. Look UT is arguably the most resource rich team in college football sitting in the 3rd or 4th strongest conference. They have virtually unlimited money and they sit in an ocean of top talent. If you can't succeed at UT I can't imagine you can cut it at LSU.

5. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

If they wait until the end of the season to fire Miles, the current season would be lost. At least this team has a chance to achieve something now. Plus without O getting this tryout would he have been given serious consideration? The opportunity for him to prove himself would be lost. I think a much stronger argument can be made that he was fired too late than can be made that he was fired too soon.

6. kluke

kluke Founding Member

If he goes 4 - 1 over the remaining schedule he has earned the spot. The only way I see him staying and not being the head coach is if the head coach is a big WOW name coach. Or if its Kiffen he may stay. But if its Herman I think hes gone - and I'm not sure Herman is worth it.

7. kluke

kluke Founding Member

Agreed.

TwistedTiger likes this.
  8. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Pertaining to what I said in another thread. Say O becomes the next LSU HC, how far fetched is it that he brings in Kiffen as the new OC? They have a great working relationship, and expectations at LSU are lower than what it is as Bama. Plus he won't have to endure anymore Saban ass chewings on the sidelines.

9. kluke

kluke Founding Member

I saw your other post and I agree with it. It's not like Kiffen is shy about making changes.

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

There are a lot of media people who think that if O stays on Kiffen coming here is a done deal unless he gets offered a HC gig. Apparently LSU and Miles wanted O here back when Kiffen took the UT job, and O had pretty much accepted it until Kiffen got him to come to Tennessee, so it's believed that Kiffen owes O.

GregLSU likes this.