Charlie Strong to Texas (5 year deal)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Jan 3, 2014.

1. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

FIFY.....

I love this hire....

islstl likes this.
  2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Well it surely isn't a bad choice. The guy is hungry, energetic, and proven. It may not be a homerun but it is definitely a breath of fresh air for them and I think they will do just fine. No up side my ass, the sky is the limit here, just have to be man enough to climb the effing ladder.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Defense wins championships.

Texas believes he will bring that swagger back to the defensive side of the ball.

It's the right hire.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  4. kcal

kcal Founding Member

watch jurich make another solid hire at louisville. i think he's the best ad around.

LSUDad likes this.
  5. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

I agree w/all of the last few posts here. I really like the Strong hire for all the reasons stated. Agree w/Shane, may be not a HR hire like a name like Saban would have been viewed, but certainly a solid hire w/someone who's going up, and values defense. Agree that he is a breath of fresh air for them. I have never liked Texas, but hiring him will ease my wanting to change the channel if they are playing. I may actually watch them a bit now.

Agree, that Jurich will make a solid hire there and try to keep their train going in the right direction.

LSUDad likes this.
  6. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

Don't be so literal! Who pumps sunshine?

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  7. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Texas higher ups? Heck, I was tired of watching the Texas defense.

You make an interesting statement here izzy, "Texas football is all about defense."

When has that been the case? Certainly not under Mack. If we go back before him their last success was under Royal—known for his offense and the wishbone. Mackovic's tenure saw Ricky Williams and James Brown.

It's a school whose success has been found on offense.

As to Strong...

Good coach. I don't see it as a good fit.

He's distanced himself from boosters, media, etc., at Louisville and now he's walking into another job asking more than twice as much on those fronts?

8. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

I don't know, that may be exactly what that program needs, someone who is confident and maintains some independence/distance from the behind the scenes stuff. Obviously, you have to be able to finesse and politick. He may be better than that than you realize. I think he is a "good fit" from the standpoint of his actual coaching and recruiting abilities.

cajdav1 likes this.
  9. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I think Strong will do very well at Texas. He is a great judge of talent, a fine DC and will have a good offense. He will actually watch tions of film on recruits and pick and choose instead of taking the first 25 Texas recruits that are willing to commit.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  10. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Its simple. He makes the right choices in recruiting QBs, he will be successful. Without Bridgewater at Louisville, they are a 5 win team at best. In the modern game, you live and die by the QB.

HalloweenRun likes this.