Charlie Strong to Texas (5 year deal)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Jan 3, 2014.

1. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

No, they can't just get anyone they want because they have money to throw around.

Harbaugh. No.
    Fisher. No.
    Saban. No.
    Malzahn. No.
    Briles. No.
    Shaw. No.
    Mora. No.

And I think I'm missing one or two of their "targets" here.

Again, I do see Strong as a solid coach. And, I do believe it's a bad fit for Texas.

Now we've got Red McCombs, a booster who's given TX over 100 million over the years and actively pursued/lobbied for Gruden (OK, there's name number eight) saying this:

As I suggested weeks ago TX is a dumpster fire right now. I honestly feel bad for Strong...and wish him the best of luck. He's going to need as much as he can get.

2. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

It hasn't hurt Sumlin...

LSUDad likes this.
  3. sunnyjim

sunnyjim Founding Member

I can't believe that they are going to pay him $5 million before he ever wins a game for them. What are they going to do if he starts winning? Start another head coach arms race? LSU did not offer Miles what they had just raised Saban's salary to. They made him earn it first and he did. Incentives are good things.

4. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Like I said, didn't hurt them.

5. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

The above is the prime reason Saban didn't go to Texas. He needs total control and no crazies like Red McCombs trying to throw their weight around. He had Emmert protecting his back at LSU and both LSu and Alabama were so desperate for a winner they both gave him the control he wanted.

Texas backers aren't humbled enough yet. There are way too many chiefs and wanna be chiefs in and around Austin.

BTW I'm not saying that the control Nick demanded and received is a bad thing. It was absolutely necessary at your school especially and would be even more needed at Texas. I believe he saw he would never really get it so passed. Had he been able to be assured of the control the Texas hire may have had a different ending.