Charlie Weis as offensive coordinator

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Purple & Gold, Jan 3, 2011.

1. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Founding Member

I can look again and see the samething what did his qb's in big games... Nothing!
    Sugar bowl!
    Do u remember it?
    Any USC games...
    Oh they did look good playing army and navy sure.

2. Thorny

Thorny Founding Member

Other than blowing that NCAA record 44-year win streak against Navy, you are right.

Just kidding. I completely agree with your point.

GEAUX TIGERS

3. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Founding Member

I did forget that one thanks!
    44 years is a long time
    With the panther's qb, too!

4. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Actually I think this is a great hire for LSU(not Florida). Weis showed no ability to direct a college offense at ND. This is a puzzling hire by Muschamp.

5. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I'm not sure I would want Weis giving me advice on how to coach in the NCAA. He was a mega bust in his stint as HC.

6. souljaslim1

souljaslim1 Bigg Daddy

I would love to see big charlie coaching LSUs offense...he's one of the best in the business...actually,,the offense wasnt the problem when he was at notre dame...it was the defense...thats the same problems rich rod has been having at michigan....what is there to wait and see...have you forgotten the man has THREE SUPERBOWL RINGS....if he can coach tom brady, why cant he coach 18-19 yr. old college quarter backs...will muschamp is doin a very smart thing...surrounding himself with a pro style coaching staff...which in turn will keep the young recruits coming....

7. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Agreed. Both hires are based largely on hype & potential, not a whole lot of proof.
    This is precisely what I was thinking. He's kinda the last person that you'd want as a mentor. . .well, other than Hallman.

Now, if you're trying to add a couple of hundred pounds, he's your archetype.

1 person likes this.
  8. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

I think Weiss has more than proved his ability to run an offense. I'd take him at LSU in a heartbeat.

9. BayouIrish

BayouIrish Founding Member

Here's my 2 cents...
    Weis has proven he can be on OC at both levels. As it's been said here several times, his problems at ND weren't his offensive schemes, but his inability to develop players other than the QB, and his inability to find a def coordinator that could work with him.

His worst year at ND (and there were several), was when he let Haywood actually fill the roll of OC while Weis "focussed on being the head coach".

He was also able to recruit better than anyone at ND since Holtz was there, which is saying a lot given his records at the time.

I think he will be a huge bennefit to Muschamp for starting out.
    But.... I do agree that his ego/personality will eventually be a problem for a young head coach. I've met the man, and have been around people w/ similar personalities. Eventually it just wears on you, and I think he'll only last a couple of years in Florida b/c of it.

10. bryan.allen

bryan.allen Founding Member

Charlie Weis had pretty solid passing attacks at Notre Dame.

His passing offenses ranked

5th
    12th
    94th
    32nd
    4th

His 2007 season was disastrous no doubt but pretty solid every other year.

The talent level at UF is going to be 10x greater than at ND as well.

It makes sense for Coach Boom to hire him because of his lack of HBC experience. Not to mention he is a defensive guru and would like to devote most of his coaching to the defensive side of the ball. He can give Weis full reigns of the offense and not have to worry because the guy knows how to win.

As far as recruiting....

No offense to LSU but if Crowton walks into a kids house and talks up LSU. Then Weis walks in with his 4 Super Bowl rings, I think that speaks volume.

The Cheifs won 10 games over the last 3 seasons and they hire Weis to run their offense and they end up ranked in the top 10 and win 10 games and the division and are hosting a playoff game.

Best possible hire for UF.