Chase bank customers

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Mar 17, 2011.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

http://www.kgoam810.com/rssItem.asp?feedid=114&itemid=29645255

Higher ATM fees, eliminating free checking in some cases, I know they tried to charge my mom 20 bucks a month just do checking, so she cancelled her account. All because government regulations are forcing them to lower their withdraw fees, so their thought process is, since that revenue will be lost they have to make it up somewhere.

I have an idea, take it out of the CEO's bonus.

2. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

How about blame the Govt and not the bank.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Because the regulations are needed. you do remember that they are one of the banks that needed to be bailed out right?

4. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

Screw regulations. They help nobody but the Govt. get more money.

Screw the banks too. They should have been left to fail.

5. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Chase sucks. I had a credit card with them for several years that I kept a bit of a balance on; no more than 20% of the limit or so. The only reason I kept a balance on it is because if you don't they'll close the account (I've had 2 other companies do that to me).

Anyway, my credit rating is pretty low-risk (~800) and I've never missed a payment or paid less than 2-3 times the minimum payment in the 6 years I've had the card. When I originally got the card, it was actually through Washington Mutual before Chase took over. When Chase took over, they jacked up the interest rate to 31.99% from 13.99%..

I decided to call them and see if I could negotiate the interest rate. They basically told me that they weren't going to budge on the interest, but I could apply for a new card with a better rate, but they also said even if I did that they would not transfer the balance from the high-rate card to the lower rate card.

I promptly told them what I thought in the least polite terms possible. Afterward, I paid the entire balance of my card off on the phone right then and there, and told them good luck trying to get that 31.99% from me again. I still have the card, but I don't use it unless I absolutely have to (which isn't often). I'm sure they'll cancel it before long.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I dropped CHASE three years ago. Campus Federal Credit Union now offers me a checking account that pays me 3.75% (more than my savings account) on balances up to $20,000. And they REQUIRE me to use my debit card at least 20 time a month.

I moved much of my savings account to checking to max the account and make hundreds of dollars a month in interest.

7. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Basically it shifted costs from people who aren't responsible with their money, to everyone. I simply refuse to pay a fee on a checking acct. Too many places still offer it for free.

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

thats weird that government regulations didnt actually help the consumer and that company just altered the way they do business in a way that hurts the customer

9. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

add me to the list that hates chase. with a passion. i will never do business with them again for any reason.

our mortgage for the house in nola was with chase. after katrina, we put the insurance money is escrow to use when the house was rebuilt. well, contractor problems to the point we ended up having to sell the house kept us from rebuilding. so when we sold the house we had to have the money in escrow transferred to the principle. that is where the nightmare began. chase had sold our mortgage to some other institution, and we had a time getting the insurance money out of escrow with chase who had kept that part of it sitting on it. at one point we were told something like we had to get approval for them to release it which took 60 days. 60 days just for approval. not to mention the time to actually transfer the money. and we were to close in a month on the house. it was a cluster phuck of me on the phone for hours several days in a row, lather, rinse, repeat, for 3 months. luckily, they people who bought our house were very nice and wanted it enough to understand the situation and put off closing on the house. otherwise, we would have had to come up with that money out of pocket just to close on the house.

it really chapped my ass tho to have them sit on MY money, and have to ask for approval and jump through hoops to get them to release MY money. they were acting like we were asking for tens of thousands of dollars be given to us for free!

10. Bud Lee

Bud Lee Call me buttercup

This and this.

The govt had no business driving us deeper in debt to bail out banks that placed themselves in trouble due to bad practice.

We need less govt involvement and more personal responsibility in this country.