Chavis was a Nega

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsu-i-like, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Rue Amulet

Rue Amulet Freshman

I was referring to Chavis's countersuit, not a football game.

2. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

If your former employer was asking you to ante up $400,000.00, you would sue, too. This isn't anything personal against LSU. This is an issue between a former employee and employer involving hundreds of thousands of dollars, not chump change. I'm not defending him, per se, just pointing out that it's not something to hate the guy over. He made a move he felt was right for him, and is fighting to not pay back a lot of money. I would do the same.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Not if I knew I didn't have a leg to stand on. His contract was pretty clear. He jumped ship before his buyout was null. If I commit a crime and get busted for selling weed, I'm not going to sue the police department to try and get my money back.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

It all depends on the specific wording of his contract. That is something we don't know that a judge will have to interpret and rule upon.

5. ROY_LA_CA

ROY_LA_CA Founding Member

I wonder how long the contract was and if Chavis ever read it carefully and completely. Now that $400K is at stake, my guess is that a number of lawyers are being paid around $400/hr to read it very carefully and very, very slowly.

LSUDad, kluke and Bengal B like this.
  6. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Really, not the point, and not apples to apples analogy there, my friend. My wife is an employment attorney, and I can tell you with certainty that most lawsuits filed by an employee happen irrespective of what the contract says. This is about 400K. Contractual technicalities are complicated. By suing, he is at least giving himself a chance to reduce that number, or have it eliminated completely. If he doesn't sue, then the next step is to pay 400,000.00 out of his own pocket, since A&M is not agreeing to cover it. What would you do? Just pay 400K w/o any fight? If he was a sought after HC, then A&M would not be objecting, probably, but since he is a replaceable assistant, they are. This is probably as much about forcing A&M, as it is about trying to reduce the payback to LSU.

LSUDad and Bengal B like this.
  7. Rue Amulet

Rue Amulet Freshman

I predict Chavis will lose this case by relying on a prevent defense in the final argument.

furduknfish, StaceyO, LSUDad and 4 others like this.
  8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

If the defense quits you must acquit.

StaceyO and LSUDad like this.
  9. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

And how many domestic verdicts have been returned in your favor? :D

LSUDad and Bengal B like this.
  10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I understand suing a former employer over disputed money. But suing your new employer to cover your legal expenses of leaving your last job. WTF does that?

StaceyO likes this.