Chavis

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by danthetigerfan, Nov 7, 2009.

1. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Just a thought, maybe knowing that the DL had gotten so f'd up last yr, Chavis isn't pressuring these guys to perform at the level he expects with his new scheme. Maybe he is asking them to do just enough to be effective. Not having them have to overthink the game, but rather be sound enough to keep the opposition out of the endzone. This defense allows teams to get to the 40-30, but then when the field is shorter stiffens up and doesn't let them get in the endzone. Maybe this is all that Chavis is expecting out of them while he is implementing his system. Expalining why we don't get the penetration to get the sacks. Just a thought.

2. asignupe99

asignupe99 Founding Member

I don't buy that. D-Line is not a mentally demanding position. It's a quick react position, but it's very physical. It's read and react. Did the QB drop back to pass? You know in under a second. If so, beat my man and sack the QB. If I can't sack, get my hands up quickly. If he's a running QB, beat my man, contain the Vick, and wait for the inevitable illegal block from the lineman...but most importantly contain the Vick.

If it's a running play, make the stop IF YOU CAN, but most importantly, hold my block, keep those big guys off my linebackers so they can make the play. That's why they're behind me. So I, as a D-lineman, can protect them from 330 lb. guards and tackles. A run-stopping defensive tackle isn't necessarily a guy who stuffs holes and tackles running backs. It's also the guy that can occupy two blockers...much like Dorsey did...and much like Woods doesn't. Even if you can't shoot the gap when the ball is snapped, you can't let your guy get you out of position to facilitate a play. And if you're a d-lineman, you cannot, cannot, cannot, let a tight end block you like Alem does. It's easy pickings for those five linemen after that.

I don't mean to be harsh, but I will be glad to see Woods and Alem go. Alexander is very good when he's on. Alem is so easy to scheme against. Tell the QB to step up and in Alem's direction in the pocket and they'll be fine because he goes straight up field, then has no clue what to do after he's overrun the pursuit. Strangely, I think Alem and Woods will both be good pros. They'll put Alem as a rush end or 3rd and long OLB in a 3-4...and he'll be good. Woods can be good in a 3-4 as well as a nose guard if they put another 10-20 lbs on him. Not much responsibility besides occupy 2 or 3 blockers every down. He's got to get nasty to be good though.

I think the young guys are going to be fantastic.

1 person likes this.
  3. LEGACY TIGER

Not saying my thought has any validity to it, but I think you over simplify the DL position. It is more mentally demanding than you think. Reading offensive schemes and being able to make D adjustments to those isn't an easy task. Also, the stunts they do to try to control how the offense plays is by design. It is more proactive than you think. The D doesn't always react to what the O is doing, in many cases it is their formation that creates the O audibles.

4. asignupe99

I know all that. Played the position...and not in a cookie cutter high school D. But that's why you never see D-Linemen calling defenses. Not enough time to read all that and react before that big o-lineman has his hands in your shoulder pads, because if that o-lineman gets his hands on you, it's usually over. Their pre-snap stunts, twists, formations, etc. are predicated on what the captain calls (and what the coordinators have taught the captain to call). There's only so much a d-lineman can be expected to remember because their reaction time is much quicker. Their heads are down listening for defensive calls and waiting for that ball to snap, so they can't see everything the O is doing. A split second is everything in the trenches. If the ball snaps while they're trying to see where the receiver lined up, they've already lost the battle. Once that ball snaps, it's time to execute. It's not near as much reading as LB or the secondary. And not near as mentally draining (from a schematic viewpoint at least) as you think. The mental drain is having the fortitude to get up and possibly get your butt kicked again, while having the will to kick butt in return. Those trenches are the most physical places imaginable outside an MMA ring. Ultimately, you're depending on that MLB or FS (who usually call the D) for pre-snap adjustments...that includes play calling and play disguising.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I agree with you, i am ready for Alem and Woods to graduate. I think Nevis is going to be really good next year also. I have asked this a million times and i haven't heard anything back yet, have you heard anything about Mingo being moved to Defensive End?

6. asignupe99

Nah, thought he was set at LB. That's a lot of speed to limit at DE, but I could see it happening provided he puts on the needed weight. He came in at 210 I think. That's only 25-30 lbs. necessary for LB...more considering his height. For DE, he needs a strong 50-60 lbs on his frame. That won't be easy but it's certainly possible. If Shep can add 20 lbs. (allegedly) then Mingo certainly can add the weight.

I'd rather see him at LB though, but I'm not a coach so....:tigereye:

7. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

I think that was the talk because of his height, but if he doesn't have lateral quickness and speed. Then I full expect him to play Rush DE.

8. asignupe99

Dude played corner in high school believe it or not. I hope there's some lateral quickness there! Then again, at 6'5, he can make up for speed deficiencies with wingspan.

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

man if he could put on some weight i have been yearning for that Jason Taylor, Dwight Freeny type defensive end. Tall, powerful and fast.

10. LEGACY TIGER

One can only dream.:thumb: