Chaz Ramsey going for the knees again....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by mobius481, Mar 30, 2011.

1. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

It's interesting that one of the allegations by auburn's offensive lineman Troy Reddick said he was paid nearly $5000 dollars over 2 years by one of the barn's assistant coaches.

Ouch, that is the kind of indictment that Eric Ramsey used to kill the Pat Dye era. Of course he owned a tape recorder.

2. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

Agreed. I'm sure there's nothing to this...

:geauxtige

3. jrmywggns24

jrmywggns24 Freshman

I hope the ncaa gives auburn the smu treatment.

4. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Interesting point in a sports piece today from one of the barns scholars last night. Seems his major was going to conflict with football, so they ask him to change it. So Troy Reddick does so but fails to go to class, period. He said "I knew I was only there to play football."

Coaches obviously agreed by allowing the kid to drop out before he had a chance to drop in.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

martin

6. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

I may be mistaken, but I didn't hear Ramsey throwing LSU under the bus, ... I'm reasonably certain it was McClover you may be referencing, right? Pardon me if I'm mistaken. Regardless, Ramsey's axe-to-grind isn't with LSU, it's with Auburn.

I'm not naive enough to believe that the hunnerddollah handshake doesn't go on everywhere. I witnessed it personally in the late seventies, and I have little doubt that it still goes on behind closed doors or through channels at most programs. I even have a fishing buddy of mine that brags about doing it in D-2.

For what it's worth, my personal opinion is that the players should receive spending-money, but I'll be darned if I know what the right amount should be or how it would be administered. But honestly, it's ludicrous to think that a player like Raven Gray was somehow compensated when he was never going to play a down.

Ramsey & family sued Auburn University in Federal court last year over his back injury. It's my understanding that Ramsey pursued private rehab rather than the protocol recommended by the team physician. The judge disagreed with Ramsey's claim and the case was dismissed. His family believes otherwise and has bad feelings toward the university over the matter .... something I can personally relate to as I had to bear the lion's share of the costs of my surgeries during junior college too. That doesn't mean I agree with Ramsey's actions, which are IMO suspect.

Troy Reddick interviewed for a GA position prior to last season and was indignant that he wasn't offered the job at a time when he really needed one.
    I do believe Reddick was advised to change majors as a junior, but i don't find his story that odd since it routinely happens at most colleges that are serious about sports. It usually happens earlier than it did for Reddick, but he insisted he wanted to play in the NFL and sometimes sacrifices are made and risk is incurred. Welcome to life.

What I don't believe is that Reddick received cash from a coach on the staff ..... it's simply a ludicrous claim in today's era. No coach is that ignorant ... or that arrogant. No way in hell. Think about it.

McClover was paid. Hope his 30 pieces of silver spend well ... it'll be gone within the month and he'll move on to his next scam.

Personally, I hope Auburn invites the NCAA to visit with open arms. I doubt they find anything beyond the garden variety Secondary violations that the NCAA would like find on nearly any campus they choose to visit. Just my dos centavos .....

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Pay them like any other student worker on campus. I have have students that are on full academic scholarships that still work for pay in my lab--up to 20 hours a week. Why not pay the players for the time they spend working in practice and in games?

Some of these athletes come from very poor families and while they get room and board from LSU, they have no spending money to go to the movies, order a pizza, or take out a date. They are also forbidden to have part-time jobs. It makes them vulnerable to boosters with cash.

I pay freshmen student workers minimum wage and then give them a dollar raise for every year that they work out. Seniors can get $10.25 if they work for us for four years.

It doesn't add up to much money, but enough perhaps to keep players from getting involved in petty thefts and looking for hundred-dollar handshakes.

8. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

What's wrong with $100 handshakes? they freaking earn them. If you are a student and you make a 4.0 and your uncle gives you $100...you're expected to say "No thanks, I play sports and can't accept."????

I just gave $100 to my assistant cook for a dress (she's getting baptized) because she's one of the best I've been around and it's an honor to work with her and she doesn't have a rich uncle.

Whew, She's lucky she doesn't play basketball for LSU !!! <sarcasm>

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Steve, the arcane NCAA rules say that if you even give a free meal to a potential college recruit, you have committed a violation for which LSU is accountable. If you own tickets, contribute to an LSU sponsored activity, are a graduate or even being a member of TF makes you a representative of LSU.

10. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

Very good suggestion. The NCAA needs to take a look at the rules surrounding these athletes and allow them to provide at least some spending money for themselves.