Chaz Ramsey going for the knees again....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by mobius481, Mar 30, 2011.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

How are you going to decide who gets what amount? Do they all earn a set amount? Hmmm, I wonder how long it will take for someone to throw out some numbers, like how much scratch the football program brings to the university vs say the womens tennis team? This is a road no one wants to travel.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It varies from department to department, but there are already rules in place and pay ranges from minimum wage to $11/hour. It's not big deal. The NCAA would not doubt set a national policy.

3. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

It does bring the possibility of a slippery slope. I do think college players should be allowed to receive or earn some sort of spending money, but regardless of the dollar amount set it won't do a thing to curb the cash handshake antics. And no matter what amount the NCAA sets you'd still see the same "player advocates" in the sports media and elsewhere complain that it's never enough, considering the school revenue generated by football.

4. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Actually there are provisions for that. They can work for spending cash just like anyone else can. I don't know the specifics of the rules or what the limits are, but I know for a fact they can be employed. Obviously you can't hire them for cash money, or pay them ridiculous amounts for doing the work, but they can work.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I heard Ramsey wanted a job with Auburn in the athletic department and was turned down before all of this transpired.

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Don't be too sure of that man, there are rogue coaches that do things the Head Coach and the rest of the staff sometimes aren't aware of. Namely our old McCarthy dude.

7. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

I believe you may be referring to Troy Reddick. Reddick applied in 2009 but was behind a lot of applicants that were better qualified. He felt the fact that he played at AU should be an automatic offer, but in coaching (as with most professions) it is sometimes who you know and those you cultivate relationships with that will frequently give you the edge over other candidates.

Reddick never bothered to cultivate those relationships ... he just had a sense of entitlement about the whole process.