Check out the latest cyber side chat....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by JustinTI, Oct 2, 2003.

1. freddy

freddy Founding Member

I don’t post much but I had to jump in here for a sec, I do agree Skip was not most qualified candidate for the job, but I think he was a wise choice at the time. I do agree the hiring process was a joke and it should have been Emmert’s decision only. But Emmert was just learning how to “play the game” down here and at the time Skip was the “most qualified available candidate” who had even a remote change of being hired. I do think a lot of things can be improved in the athletic department, but I think Skip has done a decent job. Now that Emmert has been here 4 years and done many great things for the university, he will have the ability to hire whoever he wants for A.D. And I do think the next A.D. will be very impressive and able to run the athletic department successfully. Just my thoughts.

2. Thorny

Thorny Founding Member

Fan Behavior

Look, I live in Ohio, so I don't know what happens at every game. But the port-o-let story was in Smiley Anders' column in the Morning Advocate Online either the Monday or Tuesday following the game. Believe me, if I was the person in it, I probably wouldn't be the only one with a bloody nose.

When I was in Tiger Band, the tubas marched beside the Golden Girls on the way back to the bandroom because of the drunks. A few times we were needed. We often dodged cups thrown from the seats behind us during the game. To say that bad fan behavior can't be improved is crazy. Unfortunately, Bertman is right in saying that the few tarnish it for everyone.

Alcohol is a major factor--how many of you haven't seen a game in Tiger Stadium without it in more than 5 years?

I love LSU, but I think that some of our fans (and some from other schools as well) need to get a life.

GEAUX TIGERS

3. terry cox

terry cox Founding Member

Poor fan behavior, to whatever extent it occurs, will not likely be curbed by an open letter from an administrator. I think that two things would cut it down when it happens:
    1. Fellow fans confronting someone who acts like an idiot right on the spot;
    2. Nick Saban getting on a microphone during a timeout and chewing people out.

What do you think?

4. NMTiger

NMTiger Founding Member

Saban has more important things to do during a timeout.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

There are two kinds of AD out there. The first is the professional athletics administrator like Barnhardt or Radakovich and Skip is not one of these highly qualified persons.

The second kind of AD is the sucessful ex-coach who moves up into administration like Vince Dooley. Skip has certainly earned his spurs as this type of AD.

Skip is near retirement and won't be AD for much longer. Emmert was under pressure to hire "an LSU guy" when Joe Dean was eased out and there wasn't a top administrator-type who fit the bill as an LSU person. I think Emmert wants a top professional adminstrator-type in the long-term. So Radakovich was hired as Skip's assistant. When Skip retires soon, Dan will be sufficiently purple & gold to get the job.

An outsider would have had much more trouble than Skip did, getting these new surcharges approved. But Skip will have gotten the new facilites started and taken the flak for the surcharges when he retires. The next AD will have those hurdles behind him. I think LSU gets the best of both worlds in this scenario.

6. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

well put red. I think you see the picture from outside the crystal ball. Rad will likely be Skip's successor, and up to now, seems to be doing a fine job of supporting Skip and quietly getting things done.

7. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Dan Radakovich won't be the most qualified candidate for the job, and therefore, won't be the next Athletic Director.

We will from this point forward hire the best available candidate for any job opening-whether a coaching position or otherwise-within the LSU Athletic Department. This is a simple, undeniable fact.

8. Bengaleze

Bengaleze Founding Member

Don't have a clue as to AD, but....

I know that it's not Nick's job to get on the microphone to calm the crowd. Self control is the idea and those who can't have to be controlled by someone else. If we police ourselves, no one else will have to do it for us. There is no constitutional right to get drunk and be an idiot. In society, people who can't live within the law live within the walls of a cell, or run for public office, especially the Commisioner of Insurance.