Check out this prediction from CFN...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Maderan, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Seabriscut

Seabriscut Founding Member

They have the talent- and I wouldn't necessarily say the team fell apart. They had a good 7-4 season, with a win over FSU at Tallahasee, and a near win over UT and :lsup: . They almost beat Georgia too. Florida will also probably finish off in the Top 25, and may win their bowl game.

2. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

Near wins are losses.

3. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Well, our O-Line might continue to improve, if Niswanger doesn't leave for medical school along with Whitworth leaving for the one day workweek to be found in the National Football League.

That'd leave a continually underwhelming underachiever in Terrell McGill, a promising young Will Arnold, and Brian Johnson who the jury is still out on...along with Nate "I'm glad I've got the Tiger Card for my Lunch Plan since I don't have any lunch money left" Livings at what I hope is NOT left tackle as returning offensive lineman.

A lot of wet behind the ear and/or problem talent (McGill has NFL talent according to the staff but hasn't put it together between his ears, Livings is more suited to Guard) on the line...

It doesn't matter who lines up at quarterback next year, you're right...But if we already know we have huge problems with pass pro (not exposed yesterday because of the sprint out/rollouts and the 2nd half of grinding it out on the ground) as it is, and we're about to lose the top two starters at THIS point in the season for next year?

I'm sorry if I don't share your optimism. We've got the talent, but we've got to prove it on the field starting with next year. Russell may improve, but we might not have improved a single iota, and may have regressed along the line.

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Like Saban said over and over again, pre-season rankings are not good, they are based on last year's team and not this year's team; They are stupid. Next Season rankings are incredible stupid as they don't even know who you have coming back with certainty.

And just because our o-line blocked good for the last half of this season doesn't mean they will doing squat next season.

5. ramah

ramah Founding Member

This is no big secret ... LSU is now a Top 5 program ... as long as Saban stays and

Keeps recruiting the Top Classes in the SEC (almost every year this milennium)

WHAT IS AMAZING ... and you probably overlooked this ... is the following

CollegeFootballNews has correctly predicted LSU's regular season win/loss record every year ... one year picked 1 less win than LSU ended up with.

That's uncanny!

That's also an undefeated or 1-loss season predicted by CFN for 2005

Look it up for yourself ... here's the link

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/sec/LSU.htm

2004 ... CFN predicted 2 losses for LSU ... AU & GA ... they were correct

2003 ... CFN predicted 2 losses for LSU ... LSU lost only to FLA

2002 ... CFN predicted 5 losses for LSU ... LSU lost 4 games in the regular season
    2001 ... CFN predicted 3 losses for LSU ... LSU lost 3 games in the regular season

That's pretty damn close for preseason guesswork ... and most impressive.

So, they pick us as a Top 5 team in 2005 ... no surprise here with two great lines coming back

6. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

TE is spot on. My sentiments exactly. After our win over Ok. in the Sugar Bowl, many on this board predicted we'd see USC in the Orange Bowl come Jan. That was taken up in the moment, and overly optimistic.

We've had great recruiting classes, but it all starts at quarterback, and we'd be looking at a very "unknown" situation there (looking from the Sugar Bowl to this year). Next year, we have a more unknown situation at QB, i.e. no proven winner.

To believe we are going to be top 5 next year, you gotta believe:
    1) Russell or Flynn emerges in a big way, or another miracle occurs (true freshman leads us to the SECCG, the longest of long shots; I'd never bet on it).
    2) Our talented young receivers mature and step up a notch, reliably making tough catches frequently. I think this can happen.
    3) Defensively, we fill some big holes (Spears, cornerback, if Turner is sr., then linebacker).

I think we should be a better team next year than this year, but QB will have to mature big time, and based on what I have seen, that maturity could be two years out. It could happen next year, or never. Also, Russell is not very mobile, and that will take a dimension out of our attack that we've enjoyed the last 3 years (Mauck and Randall). Maybe Mr. Flynn will emerge, who knows?

That's what I like about college football, all these kids are in such a formatize period, there is great uncertainty. One thing that was proved this year is you can't trust a kids high school recruiting press. Some kids just get way overhyped and some walkon can become an All American!

7. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

You're right, our O-line is crap and has zero talent. :dis:

8. AuNuma1

AuNuma1 Founding Member

Yeah, just like how our defense would suck this year after all that NFL talent we graduated last year.

How many Heisman trophies does wonder boy from Mobile have now? Oh wait, he can't even start over Randall...RANDALL!!

9. ramah

ramah Founding Member

Go make your Motel 6 reservations for Dallas ... mofo

Enjoy the ratphucking AU is getting ... the cupboard's bare next year and your recruiting sux.

10. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Considering, this is his first year starting and Heismans are handed out a weeks from now, I don't see any human way possible that he could have one. News flash: they aren't handed out after each game.