China and human rights violations? Big deal! We profile Mexicans.

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by SabanFan, May 18, 2010.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

1 person likes this.
  2. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i was reading that this morning. i didnt post anything because i was still trying to digest it.

i dont like things obama and his administration have done, but i try to find positive qualities because i want to think everyone has the potential to do something good. so this was another disappointment and a blow to trying to find something good about this administration.

to say i think this latest move is highly inappropriate is putting it mildly.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Step back and look at the big picture.

This is an old dipomatic ploy when dealing with authoritative regimes that restrict free speech and are obsessed with secrecy. Republicans and Democrats and other western powers have all done so in the past often invoking the Civil Rights struggle in the 60's or the women's movement in the 70's, or colonialism in Britain's or Japan's case.

The idea is to embarrass China (choose your dictator) over its pathetic humans rights policies by demonstrating that modern democratic nations deal with similar issues openly. These matters are no secret to the Chinese any more than their abuses are secret to us. But it shines a big public spotlight on their dishonesty in refusing to admit or discuss human rights and it discredits them in the upcoming discussions.

It also defuses what they would surely do anyway . . . which it to bring up Arizona as a distraction when we start hammering at their policies. Now we're already up front about it and stand upon it as an example of true freedom--we have disagreements in this country, but we deal with them openly. Now, bringing it up only shows the contrast between that openness and the repression and secrecy of China's position.

Beware the Party of No. They will criticize every little thing this country does because they only care about returning to power and will bring about any failure that they can to achieve this.

4. SabanFan

BULLSH!T

5. DJM136

DJM136 fubar 24/7

Good thing the Dems (the party of "share my wealth") never use that terrible strategy.

6. DJM136

DJM136 fubar 24/7

Red, the great Obamapologizer is using the AZ law as an example of human rights abuse that America is dealing with. You, rightly so IMO, strongly defend the AZ law in another thread. But you're ok with BHO misrepresenting the law and using it as "how America deals with human rights issues"?

Can BHO do anything wrong in your eyes?

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

*sarcasm alert*

Come on Red, this is America, we should never admit when we are wrong, and never apologize, and just stick a middle finger up to the rest of the world, and say "We are Americans, we are right even when we are wrong, which is never!"

8. SabanFan

In the case of Arizona, "we" are not wrong. This racial profiling crap is a red herring conjured up by a bunch of idiots (Obama, Holder, Napolitano and you, apparently, included) who haven't even read the bill.

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

is there anything in the bill about stiff fines and penalties for anyone who hires illegals?

nevermind answered my own question. As i am reading this bill, it all comes down to probable cause. A police officer can pull probable cause out of thin air. If you don't think this is going to lead to racial profiling, you are smoking rocks.

10. SabanFan

It's already against the law:

Arizona Immigration Bill – SB 1070 Law Text | Daily Postal