China and human rights violations? Big deal! We profile Mexicans.

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by SabanFan, May 18, 2010.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Lucky, because you ain't speaking for yourself.

No, I just dare disagree with your ideological need to see Obamaboogieman behind every bush. Some smart people around here don't seem to know a hell of a lot about international geopolitics. China is the goddamn enemy, not the democrats.

2. red55

I knew you didn't understand. Go read it and we'll talk.

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

A better way to put that is "before they had a chance to amend it".

See Post #4.

4. red55

Be honest. That's our side of the Arizona debate. The other side of it is about human rights. We agree on the Arizona law. That's not the issue.

The point being made to China in these State Department remarks is that an accusation about a human rights violation in America is not swept under the rug and denied. It is openly debated and will at some point be resolved. China must do the same.

Nobody "equated" it to China's record. That simply didn't happen!!! We said that what we asked of them was no more than we ask of ourselves, which is true. This issue is a hot debate in the US right now, the Chinese know it. Let them explain why they don't have the balls to address their critics.

It has been decried for decades. You are mixing issues again. My position on the Arizona law is very clear on the other thread.

On this thread, my position on the remark made to China is that this is typical diplomatic language for "Put up an honest debate like we're doing or be recognized as secretive and oppressive."

But the local right-wing spinmeisters have to put an anti-Obama blame on everything. Got to say No. Don't go over to the dark side.

5. red55

Still can't come up with an lucid response, eh?

6. SabanFan

That's not what happened. There was no discussion of human rights violations going on at the time the asst sec'y of state brought up the Arizona law.

And you cannot have this discussion without pointing out that the Arizona Law does not violate any human, mexican or any others' rights.

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

The law doesn't, but police armed with this law will be able to tip toe around people's civil rights. But they do that with every other law too, so nevermind.

8. SabanFan

I was about to jump all over you. :hihi:

9. DJM136

DJM136 fubar 24/7

So........whether I read it or not means I don't understand? Actually it means it doesn't matter if I read it or not. Maybe you don't understand.

10. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i will give you that point even tho i think the other side is completely off base, which is why i think even making a correlation on the debate of such is off target.

the point i am trying to get across, which seems to be not happening, is that, IMO, to even suggest that the arizona law is violating human rights, which the critics suggest, is implying that the charge it is on par with china's human rights violations has credibility.

yes, it has and i dont question that. i am talking about those that disagree with the arizona law. quite frankly, i dont hear the same type uproar over the federal laws which are the same. i know that many in the mexican american community have had a problem with the federal laws, because god forbid we not just open the borders to them. but the overwhelming majority of those that disagree with the arizona law are completely mum about the federal law. i bring that up because if the arizona law is a rights violation, those same people (or the majority of them) that are making this a debate havent cared that the same law has been at the federal level. what i am getting at, is that makes a large part of the debate from the other side hypocritical.

i dont spin right and i dont spin left. i know obama isnt to blame for everything. however, when i disagree with things his administration does, i will say so. and i think their entire response to the arizona law has been a knee jerk reaction.

the obama administration could have said we have national debates on issues and laws ranging from the economy to human rights and we allow free discussion of such. to bring the arizona law into it, does nothing but add legitimacy to the false charges by its opponents that it violates human rights.