Chinese Food

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Broke, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Broke

Broke Founding Member

2. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Great Wall is excellent for dinner buffet.

Chinese Inn is decent for cheap delivery.

Nine Dragon - good prices, big servings, great food, but no delivery. Just call 'em up & it'll be ready in 10 minute. (no "s" on purpose, because they never say it)

Chinese Buffet - great, cheap lunch buffets.

I realize this is not at all the point of the thread, but oh well.

3. Broke

Broke Founding Member

Parso, that's frickin hilarious. When I read that post my Michelob Ultra came out my nose. Apparently when you open a Chinese restaurant you go to the "school" where they teach you to say "it be ready in ten minute" regardless of how long it will take. But you know what? It usually is about ten minute! The wife was reading this post as I was typing it (she's a Chinese food junkie). Guess where I have to take her for her birthday tomorrow??

4. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Did you take her to Chinese Inn? Cheap bastard! :hihi:

5. Broke

Broke Founding Member

Place in Zachary called the Asian Pearl. Mrs. Mimi who owns the place really hooks us up!! Wonderful Mandarin Chicken!

6. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

The only thing funnier than reading about all of the great Cajun and Creole restaurants out here is reading about all of the great Chinese restaurants THERE...

7. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

The biggest problem with Chinese restaurants in BR is that almost everything is going to buffet-style. Maybe I'm a buffet snob, but I rather order off a menu. Quality seems to suffer when you rush it out in bulk. Hunan's closes the buffet for dinner, but I am not a fan. And unfortunately for me, while the Great Wall has some really good food, the insane amount of MSG in their food gives me a migraine before I can leave the restaurant.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Red's Chinese Restaurant Rule #1: Only go to buffets where the parking lot is always full.

Slow business results in buffets that have fewer selections and they have been sitting out in the pans for hours. But a place like Great Wall that moves a lot of people through tend to be that way because they have a much broader selection of dishes and the food keeps coming out hot and fresh. So, if the place is a quarter full . . . order off the menu. If the house is rocking, try the buffet.

Red's Chinese Restaurant Rule #2: If the staff isn't Chinese, the food isn't either.

It may have similar names, it may look similar, but it ain't Chinese. I did get good Chinese food once in Utah when the waiters were Mormons, but I glanced into the kitchen . . . the cook was Chinese.

Red's Chinese Restaurant Rule #3: The best Chinese food in the USA is in California.

No chit. Just like you can't sell second-rate seafood in Louisiana or second-rate barbeque in Texas, you just can't sell second-rate Chinese food in California. It's always good.

9. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

Best Chinese food I ever had was a restaurant in Toronto called The Pink Pearl. It was quite simply, the best ever.