Chizik's Secret Motivation

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Kurtis Bleaux, May 24, 2010.

1. Kurtis Bleaux

Kurtis Bleaux Founding Member

I thought this would scare recruits away, much less motivate them.

From the ESPN SEC blog...

Chizik's approach a hit with Auburn players

May, 24, 2010 May 24
    1:30
    PM ET

By Chris Low

What kind of fit has Gene Chizik been at Auburn?

I’d say it’s been a lot better than some on the Plains might have thought when they first heard his name as a real possibility for the job back in December 2008.

As Chizik says himself, “He gets Auburn.”

Well, his players get him.

With 24 seniors returning, this is a team that believes deeply that it can make a run for the SEC championship next season. It’s a team that also believes deeply in its head coach, and more specifically, the way he goes about his business on the field.

Just listen to senior linebacker Josh Bynes, who even references former Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville.

“What we love the most about Coach Chizik is that he gets in our behinds every single play -- defense, offense and special teams,” Bynes said. “He’s a competitor, and we see that in him. I’m not saying that Coach Tuberville wasn’t a great coach. He was a very good coach. But Coach Chizik is more into you.

“He’s a players’ coach. He’s in the drills. He’s in our faces. He’s getting in our behinds. He’s pushy, but he’s only going to make us a better team and better players.

“We see a coach who’s always working to get better.”

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Well, I've never seen a team yet that doesn't profess their love and respect for their coach and when he gets fired they profess their love and respect for their new coach.

I'm still confused about why they would fire a coach with a winning record in the SEC for a coach with a losing record. I never liked Tuberville, but the guy could coach football.

3. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

I hope our Aubie fans chime in, but it was obvious that Tubby was not getting the job done recruiting the last few years. I don't know why, but they slipped. Ya can't coach em if ya ain't got em.

Many posts on the net about him having marital issues at the end of his coaching at Auburn. Could have had an effect. Google if you care to.

4. titoabad1

titoabad1 Contributing Member

I definitely don't qualify as an Auburn fan, but I don't think recruiting was ever one of Tubby's strengths. He did coach 'em up though.

5. watson1880

watson1880 Founding Member

I know a ton of Auburn fans and they would state the Petrino/Lauder issue caused poisonous relationship, Tubs being too loyal to his guys and not letting the offensive coordinator hire his guys and just Tuberville staying so long did him in. They will credit him with highly focused and effective recruiting (afterall 9.9 out of 10 kids in Alabama want to play in T-town) and solid defense.

6. Kurtis Bleaux

Kurtis Bleaux Founding Member

I'd take Tubby over a coach in my butt anyday