Chris Garrett Commits

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by avsfan, Mar 26, 2008.

1. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Your tone is contrite and kinda sarcastic, I was just making a point, it definitely wasnt geared towards you, but I'll be glad to take it on:thumb:
    I brought Flynn into the discussion to make a comparison on a dual threat QB and a Pro-Style QB, thats all. I was complimenting Flynn on his skills at the sametime.

Chris Leak was a runner as well, he ran the first 2 years at Florida.
    I never said LSU had a 6'2 220lb QB, I was making a comparisons with the guy who brought up Russell. So essentially I was comparing their sizes and how difficult it is to tackle Russell.

And me asking here to define Pro-Style QB was not a criticim of LSU and the recruits, this guy Garrett might be able to move and run as well. I have no problem with a diverse offense. RP and Flynn have similar styles in my opinion.

So next time try to chill out on sounding so contentious.

2. lsubatgirl04

lsubatgirl04 Cupcake Thief

:thumb:Welcome Garrett!!

My fav-

:rofl:

2 people like this.
  3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Garrett seems like someone who might be like JR, a difficult person to bring down. He is nearly 240 lbs. Really good size.

4. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Hold on bro. You're telling me you can hear my tone of voice as I type?? :huh: I didn't even realize anyone besides my wife KNEW that I talked while I typed! :lol: I wasn't being contentious, although sarcasm is my spiritual gift, sooo.

My point about Chris Leak is this...
    Although he indeed had the ability to run, he was classified as a "pro style" QB. Again, I don't make the classifications...I just report 'em.

In the quote above, you asked if we can define pro-style...and you plainly quoted ME when you made that post. To say now that you were just making a point...and not geared toward me...:huh:

I'm not saying you were challenging me or anything, but you imply by your quoting me that you are asking ME a question...so I answered. Me answering that IMHO, we are going to institute a more diverse offense is simply an answer to your questions...and it DEFINITELY seemed like you had questions as to why we would take a commitment from this guy. I think the answer I gave about the diverse offense...although simply my opinion...was a fair answer.

I think you're correct that RP and Flynn have similarities. That wasn't my point. I never said RP/Flynn=Sheppard/Garrett. I don't think LSU is looking to have TWO running QB's. I also agree that immobility can get a guy killed in the SEC, but I don't know if Garrett IS immobile or not. I just know that he is classified as a "pro style" QB, and Sheppard a "dual threat" QB. It is my feeling that they are looking to utilize more of The Wizard's vast playbook...and feel the need to have both types at their leisure.

1 person likes this.
  5. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Did I quote you, Im sorry, that question wasnt directly at you, I was really asking everyone in the thread. thats my fault and I apologize.

1 person likes this.
  6. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Moving on.......

1 person likes this.
  7. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

May I just say that The Hat and staff have a pretty good track record for taking "3-star" recruits and coaching them up...Flynn, Zenon, Beckwith, and Hester are a few that come to mind (Hester may have even been a 2-star, I don't commit these things to long-term memory). I'll trust their judgement in these matters.

8. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

True. The flip side of that coin is that the Star rankings aren't perfect - they're just a reference.

I'd say - based on my DAYS of dedicated attention to recruiting ;) - that WHO recruits a kid is a more important indication of that kid's potential than the star rankings.

In this case, Garrett had offers from Fla State, Nebraska, Colorado and Miss State, and interest from Auburn, Tennessee and Ole Miss. I don't need a star system to know that if Fla State and Nebraska and Colorado are OFFERING a scholarship, then he's a pretty strong kid and a good get.

2 people like this.
  9. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Florida, USC, Oklahoma, Ohio St., Miami, OU again, FSU. I'd say teamns have won more championships with guys who stay in the pocket and don't run much than with running type QB's. And I wouldn't call either of LSU's national championship QB's running quarterbacks the season we won the BCS.

Most of us think it is a great thing to have 2 different style QB's coming in the same class with a great coordinator like Crowton.

10. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Dual-thread QB = Vick, and basically any QB that could be a great WR.

Pro-style QB = Flynn, may feature the ability to run decently, but is typically a drop back passer.