Chris Garrett Commits

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by avsfan, Mar 26, 2008.

1. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Garrett is going to be a nice stable QB IMO and a perfect compliment to Shepard. I think we will see multiple QBs used each year in Crowton's system and they will each play a part in the offense one day. With RS's abilities, I would not be surprised to see them both on the field at the same time in certain packages.

2. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

I love the fact that LSU grabbed Garrett from MSU. I don't care if Miles and Crowton thought he was garbage, just reading the pain Mississippi State fans went through by losing him to LSU was worth it :)

But obviously, Garrett is a solid QB recruit. And yes, the competition factor is a good point. I was thinking about raising that point in the RP discussions. During a three year span, the only QB we took was RP. RP had no competition. It's a tiny factor in why he didn't appreciate the seriousness of the situation. I like it better when we have at least two quarterbacks competing for the job. As a believer in the benefits of capitalism, I believe competition is a good thing.

And yes, there is a real chance that Garrett will start for LSU one day. Shepard may turn out to be used as something else than a QB -- or Shepard may go early to the NFL. Either way, I hope we get some mega-star QB in 2010 that is better than Garrett to start in his place. But then again, I have to admit that I do feel I have been starting to get very greedy when it comes to LSU football in recent years.

3. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Look, you say Garrett will never play, but you qualify that by saying look at Mauck, look at Flynn. Yes, I agree with you that, especially Flynn, was garbage compared to the mega-beast level I've greedily come to get accustomed to as an LSU fan. But you also said that Garrett is nowhere on the same planet as Flynn. Is Garrett really that freaking pathetic to you? Not even on the same planet as Flynn?????? Trust me, I have no problem trashing Garrett or Flynn, so don't worry about that. Honestly, I thought Herb Tyler was one of the greater QBs in LSU history at the time I watched him play (I never felt that way about Flynn).

4. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

"Stable QB"? I don't watch ESPN, so it shouldn't be surprising that I've never heard the term "stable QB" in my life. Is that really a term that has ever been used before? If so, in what context?

I'll admit that it was only on here that I saw someone claim we have a "stable" of QBs for the future. But I don't believe that. I don't believe that Lee/Jefferson/Shepard/Garrett are at the same level of KW, RM, CS, or any other stable of RB's we've had in recent LSU history.

Now, look at USC, or even ND, they might have something I consider close to a stable of QBs like we have at RB at LSU... but I don't think what LSU has at QB is anything close to the level of a "stable" to gloat about.

But yes, I wonder if we will do a two-QB system with Russell Shepard. Shepard might turn out never to be a solid passer in the SEC, so it makes sense that we rotate him with a QB who might be able to pass at an acceptable level for SEC play. I'm hoping Shep can learn to do that, but if he doesn't, I won't be surprised to see us run a two-QB system where we put Shep in just to run, and put a decent QB in for actual passing plays. But I'm not sure how wise that whole grand scheme is.

5. Perple

Perple Founding Member

How sad for you. You have the wrong board. This board is for people who are fairly serious about LSU recruiting.

6. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you. Matt Flynn is God and Chris Garrett is Jesus Christ. Does that make you feel less sad? Poor baby... it's okay... it's okay... *pats your head softly*

7. Perple

Perple Founding Member

Getting very difficult to pick out the smack talking Rant refugees. :lol:

8. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

I know, I know....Most rational people use the term stable QB ONLY when talking about q-Breathers, but a case can be made to use it in a discussion about quarterback performance. Who would have ever thought......

IF the Bears got Chad Johnson? - Yahoo! Answers

even without chad johnson theyd probably be good if they had a good stable QB. getting a good stable QB isnt as easy as you make it sound. 3 months ago ...
    answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080201162752AAFiWgb - 66k - Cached - Similar pages
    GameSpot Forums - Sports Games Discussion - Why does people say ...

The Jags are building a team specifically to beat the Colts, they have a good ground game and a stable QB for the first time since Mark Brunell. ...
    GameSpot Forums - Sports Games Discussion - Why does people say Jags can overtake the Colts? - 117k - Cached - Similar pages
    '09 MI QB Andrew Maxwell (MSU Verbal) - SpartanTailgate.com ...

He's the starter after Foles. He'll get 2 solid years as the starter. We should have a nice stable QB position for a while to come. ...
    www.spartantailgate.com/.../295069-09-mi-qb-andrew-maxwell-msu-verbal.html - 145k - Cached - Similar pages
    Jerry Porter | NFL Football at CBSSports.com

... who found a rising star quarterback last season in David Garrard. ... playing in Jacksonville's system with a stable QB presence in David Garrard. ...
    Jerry Porter | NFL Football at CBSSports.com - 115k - Cached - Similar pages
    Bears eye stable QB situation // McMahon, Flutie are still ...

Chicago Sun-Times - Bears eye stable QB situation // McMahon, Flutie are still unsettled - From the HighBeam Research Archive.
    Bears eye stable QB situation // McMahon, Flutie are still unsettled - Chicago Sun-Times - HighBeam Research - 27k - Cached - Similar pages
    2008 Free Agents List - Page 29 - 49ers Message Board Community

The D is up and coming and with a stable QB situation I believe we can ... The thing is our QB situation is FAR from stable, same with our offense in total. ...
    forums.49ers.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=38337&page=29 - 69k - Cached - Similar pages

IF the Bears got Chad Johnson? - Yahoo! Answers

even without chad johnson theyd probably be good if they had a good stable QB. getting a good stable QB isnt as easy as you make it sound. 3 months ago ...
    answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080201162752AAFiWgb - 66k - Cached - Similar pages
    GameSpot Forums - Sports Games Discussion - Why does people say ...

The Jags are building a team specifically to beat the Colts, they have a good ground game and a stable QB for the first time since Mark Brunell. ...
    GameSpot Forums - Sports Games Discussion - Why does people say Jags can overtake the Colts? - 117k - Cached - Similar pages
    '09 MI QB Andrew Maxwell (MSU Verbal) - SpartanTailgate.com ...

He's the starter after Foles. He'll get 2 solid years as the starter. We should have a nice stable QB position for a while to come. ...
    www.spartantailgate.com/.../295069-09-mi-qb-andrew-maxwell-msu-verbal.html - 145k - Cached - Similar pages
    Jerry Porter | NFL Football at CBSSports.com

... who found a rising star quarterback last season in David Garrard. ... playing in Jacksonville's system with a stable QB presence in David Garrard. ...
    Jerry Porter | NFL Football at CBSSports.com - 115k - Cached - Similar pages
    Bears eye stable QB situation // McMahon, Flutie are still ...

Chicago Sun-Times - Bears eye stable QB situation // McMahon, Flutie are still unsettled - From the HighBeam Research Archive.
    Bears eye stable QB situation // McMahon, Flutie are still unsettled - Chicago Sun-Times - HighBeam Research - 27k - Cached - Similar pages
    2008 Free Agents List - Page 29 - 49ers Message Board Community

The D is up and coming and with a stable QB situation I believe we can ... The thing is our QB situation is FAR from stable, same with our offense in total. ...
    forums.49ers.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=38337&page=29 - 69k - Cached - Similar pages
    www.northsidebaseball.com • View topic - The Chicago Bears ...

Don't see Ocho as a good option considering the QB situation. It would be a waste of money to pay him and not have a stable QB. ...
    www.northsidebaseball.com • View topic - The Music Thread - 92k - Cached - Similar pages

JC quarterback visits Oregon | Duck Football with Rob Moseley

Apr 24, 2008 ... Once we get a stable QB in there with ability to throw the ball they will come… Posted by russianduck7777 at 01:33 PM on Thursday, April 24, ...
    rgweb-c.registerguard.com/blogs/index.php/duckfb/comments/jc_quarterback_visits_oregon/ - 40k - Cached - Similar pages
    NFL « One Sorry Blog

NFL teams need to do what ever it takes to have an effective, stable QB. And then do whatever it takes to keep them healthy. Without it, playoff chances are ...
    onesorryblog.wordpress.com/category/nfl/ - 76k - Cached - Similar pages
    [PDF]
    Buffalo Bills should trade Lee Evans for Chad Johnson - Page 2 ...

Let's see Chad Johnson puts up 1400 yards for a team with a very stable QB position, while Lee Evans can put up 1292 while playing on a team with a far less ...
    boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?p=826197 - 79k - Cached - Similar pages
    Brigham Young 2003 Football Preview

The key to their success will undoubtedly be stable QB play. In all of BYU's successful campaigns, there has been a stellar QB. ...
    Brigham Young 2003 Football Preview - 69k - Cached - Similar pages
    Washingtonpost.com: Live Online

I was wondering, with a year under thier belt and with a more stable QB situation, will the Redskins pull more from the Spurrier's ol' bag of tricks next ...
    discuss.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/zforum/02/r_sports_brindise010302.htm - Similar pages
    Scout.com: Tennessee Forums List

Look at LSU, with a stable QB they won several games (and lost two in 3x OTs), and they got a win against an inferior UT team with luck and lack luster QB ...
    mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=7&f=1371&t=2400444&sto=pagestart - 34k - Cached - Similar pages
    GameSpot Forums - Madden NFL 08 - Rex Grossman: Risk or Reward?

The Bears indecision on settling with a stable QB is hurting them big time. Even if Grossman doesn't do well, they need to say from day 1, "Okay guys, ...
    GameSpot Forums - Madden NFL 08 - Rex Grossman: Risk or Reward? - 76k - Cached - Similar pages

Sandy Valley: Sports

... but hopefully over the next couple years he will develop into a more stable QB. ... Fans here in Denver are irrational when it comes to their QB. ...
    sandyvalley.spaces.live.com/category/Sports/feed.rss - 27k - Cached - Similar pages
    Spotlight - WR Chris Chambers, Miami Dolphins

Is he the victim of the terrible QB play that the Dolphins has last season ... should provide the most stable QB play that the Dolphins have had since 2001 ...
    subscribers.footballguys.com/2007/07spotlight-ChamCh00.php - 23k - Cached - Similar pages
    EXTREMESKINS.com - ESPN Insider: Pro Football Weekly with Chris ...

With an inexperienced QB, a history of knee problems and a lack of a .... (and Ken Lucas isn't half bad either). carolina also has a stable QB coming off a ...
    EXTREMESKINS.com - ESPN Insider: Pro Football Weekly with Chris Neubauer - 21k - Cached - Similar pages
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2007 Outlook

Granted, a more stable QB situation should help Williams gain better footing, but he is still worth no more than a #3 or #4 spot on your roster. ...
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2007 Outlook - 29k - Cached - Similar pages
    Address Your Needs: AFC North/South - NFL, AFC North, AFC South

Ravens need a QB Bengals needs some damn defense along with the Browns and Colts. I think the Jags are still in need of a stable QB ...
    Address Your Needs: AFC North/South - NFL, AFC North, AFC South - 84k - Cached - Similar pages

FanNation | Pro Triangle's Review | 2008 NFL Mock Draft

Mar 19, 2008 ... The Falcons have no stable QB and they need one. Ryan would be a solid pick for the Falcs to take. Raiders: OT, Jake Long ...
    FanNation | Pro Triangle's Review | 2008 NFL Mock Draft - 46k - Cached - Similar pages
    Heisman Sleepers : PROTRADE

The Most attarctive feature of Hardy is he is 6'7 and if Blake Powers can be the stable QB for the Hoosiers he should not have a problem finding this man. ...
    Heisman Sleepers : PROTRADE - 58k - Cached - Similar pages
    SportingNews.com - Your expert source for NCAA Football stats ...

Jan 9, 2008 ... Sorry, if you don't have a stable QB situation, you still have a major flaw. And what was the unnecessary dis of the Dawgs? ...
    SportingNews.com - Your expert source for NCAA Football stats, scores, standings, and blogs from NCAA Football columnists - 79k - Cached - Similar pages
    Fantasy College Blitz | Fantasy College Football| Team & Player ...

Aug 12, 2007 ... And I think that Darren McFadden is the best QB at Arkansas also. ... for Mo Massaquoi based on maturity and a more stable QB situation. ...
    Fantasy College Blitz | Fantasy College Football| Team & Player Articles| College Football Stats| Newsletter - 21k - Cached - Similar pages
    NFL Head Coach Rankings - CDS Boards

Oct 4, 2007 ... 24) J. Del Rio- Jags need a stable QB, but they are always competitive. 25) M. Lewis- Lewis has done nothing with that defense and can't win ...
    condraft.com/boards/index.php?act=findpost&pid=98312 - 98k - Cached - Similar pages
    QuickBooks Community - Is QB Enterprise 7 stable?

Our company is looking to upgrade from QB Pro 2006, but want to make sure that it is stable before doing so. Thanks in advance, ...
    quickbooksgroup.com/webx?addPost@@.ef6d455 - 50k - Cached - Similar pages
    Your Daily lets analyze our positions....today...WR/TE - Broncos ...

Apr 11, 2008 ... Keary Colbert- I'm not quite sure why everyone is knocking him based on production. he had no stable qb situation and the offense as a whole ...
    forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=114184 - 163k - Cached - Similar pages
    So much for the Philly QB controversy. - NEWSARAMA

So much for the Philly QB controversy. TALK@Newsarama. ... and I'm sure that the Bears believe they are a stable QB away from a Superbowl win. ...
    forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=138229 - 71k - Cached - Similar pages

Chargers QB's picked in the 8th Round or Higher since 1980 ...

[Archive] Chargers QB's picked in the 8th Round or Higher since 1980 Chargers. ... keep winning year after year because they will have a strong, stable QB. ...
    forum.signonsandiego.com/archive/index.php/t-23880.html - 15k - Cached - Similar pages
    Pocket Presence: Goodbye Brandon Lloyd

He did not have any 1 stable qb, as Alex Smith, Tim Rattay, and Ken Dorsey all saw playing time, with none being effective in any way, shape or form. ...
    pocketpresence.blogspot.com/2008/02/goodbye-brandon-lloyd.html - 84k - Cached - Similar pages
    NFL Betting Power Rankings: Week 5 - Bodog Nation

Oct 3, 2007 ... For all those who laugh when the quarterback lines up behind the .... If they can get stable QB play, they could surprise teams later in the ...
    nation.bodoglife.com/sports-betting-news/nfl-betting-power-rankings-week-5-803384.html - 41k - Cached - Similar pages
    High school football quarterback drills

In high school football, when fundamentals can be at their lowest, having a stable quarterback can overcome many other problems and allow your team to be ...
    www.happynews.com/living/highschoolfootballplayers/football-quarterback-drills.htm - 12k - Cached - Similar pages
    Hill Questionable for Sunday : 49ersnews.com

Dec 27, 2007 ... Just when it looks like we have a stable QB back there, and a chance to finish off the season with 3 wins… we get this. WTF? ...
    49ersnews.com/hill-questionable-for-sunday/ - 61k - Cached - Similar pages
    Miami Dolphins | Sun-Sentinel Blogs: Searching for impact players?

Nov 12, 2007 ... Let's bring in Beck to see if we can get stable at that position with him. If not, draft a QB again in this QB-rich draft. ...
    blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2007/11/searching-for-i.html - 82k - Cached - Similar pages
    Romeo Crennel extension ? - Yahoo!7 Answers

... Coach Chud (Crennel's boy Carthon was a idiot too,) and the development of Anderson into the stable QB most Cleveland fans believed he was able to be. ...
    answers.yahoo.com.au/question/index?qid=20080110004846AApOJsO - 55k - Cached - Similar pages
    Walters Football Site: 2000 Season Preview

Keyshawn Johnson should help out 2nd year QB Shaun King and the Bucs passing .... and if the Broncos find a stable QB, Chamberlain will have a good year. ...
    Walters Football Site: 2000 Season Preview - 33k - Cached - Similar pages
    NY-FootballGiants.Com :: Columns

If Mike Williams went to a team with smart coaches, stable QB play, and a culture of success, his pro career would be viewed in a completely different light ...
    ny-footballgiants.com - 32k - Cached - Similar pages

Bill Parcells signed a four-year contract yesterday to lead the...

Miami is actually not far away from being a decent team if they can get a stable QB since they have had both bad luck and bad selections in the recent past ...
    Bill Parcells signed a four-year contract yesterday to lead the... - 49k - Cached - Similar pages
    Releasing McNair - The Sanctuary

I'd rather us have the best QB capable of us winning in the long run, Baltimore needs a stable qb and it'll either be in Draft as backup, or smith starting. ...
    forums.extremeravens.com/index.php?showtopic=26948&mode=linear - 82k - Cached - Similar pages
    [PDF]
    Dwayne Jarrett - Rotoworld.com Forums

Feb 4, 2007 ... I watched Sir Sid all year and without a stable QB, he showed has the talent to be an NFL star. I think if he went to the other USC, ...
    forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=13&view=getlastpost - 86k - Cached - Similar pages
    Black and Gold Blog — All about the Pittsburgh Steelers

We had to sacrifice the loss of Faneca, but at least we have a stable QB ready to play for The Steelers. More details here… ...
    Black and Gold Blog — All about the Pittsburgh Steelers - 21k - Cached - Similar pages
    State of Miami: Trent Green Returns to St. Louis

Seems like a lot for a guy who might not ever play again, but then again the Rams don't have the most stable QB situation in the league. ...
    State of Miami: Trent Green Returns to St. Louis - 71k - Cached - Similar pages
    Inside the Bears: Bears agree to terms with ex-Illini WR Lloyd

Mar 7, 2008 ... In 2001 the Bears didnt have a stable QB.Running backs were so so. WRs besides Booker was Dez White and some other goofs. ...
    blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2008/03/bears_agree_to_terms_with_exil.html - 126k - Cached - Similar pages
    Trent Green trade finally happens • The BlogJam - FOX Sports Blogs

Jun 5, 2007 ... 4:52 PM, It's nice for the Dolphins to get a somewhat stable QB in Green, but how do you pay Culpepper to rehab, and now not see him healthy ...
    community.foxsports.com/blogs/BlogJam/2007/06/05/Trent_Green_trade_finally_happens - 106k - Cached - Similar pages

FinsNation: February 2008

Parcells will pull a whole live chicken out his ass before he finds us a stable QB who isn't a rookie, or inexperienced, or a complete bed ****ter. ...
    FinsNation: February 2008 - 60k - Cached - Similar pages
    An Infinite Analoque of Rings with Stable Rank One

Replacing invertibility with quasi-invertibility in Bass’ first stable range condition. we discover a new class of rings, the QB-rings. ...
    linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0021869300983303 - Similar pages
    alt.sports.football.pro.ny-jets Google Group

have any kind of stable QB in the two they have....or anyone else they could get. Getting a rookie they believe in and keeping at least one of KC or CP ...
    groups.google.co.nz/group/alt.sports.football.pro.ny-jets/feed/atom_v1_0_topics.xml?num=50 - 40k - Cached - Similar pages
    Swap Blog » 2006 » November » 11

Arkansas is 11th in two polls (15th in the third), playing well, and has a stable QB. UT can only claim top 20 status (15th in one, 16th in one, ...
    Swap Blog 2006 November 11 - 140k - Cached - Similar pages
    texasfootball.com - DCTF Blog -- January 2007 Archive

Arkansas hasn't had the most stable QB situation of late ... -- This thought has a small recruiting tie, but hear me out. Saw that Bob Stoops pulled his ...
    texasfootball.com - DCTF Blog -- January 2007 Archive - 48k - Cached - Similar pages
    Morgan visits Saints, Thomas on way - Times-Picayune Breaking ...

Feb 19, 2008 ... He also wants to go to a team with a stable QB and a chance to win. Thomas admitted that he is NOT a fix, but he can make an impact and will ...
    Morgan visits Saints, Thomas on way - Times-Picayune Breaking Sports News - NOLA.com - 51k - Cached - Similar pages
    Jamboroo, Week 16: CHRISTMASAROO!

Dec 20, 2007 ... Next year, they're gonna find themselves a more stable QB. And they're not going to ever give you visitation rights to their newborn leagues ...
    deadspin.com/336045/jamboroo-week-16-christmasaroo - Similar pages
    NFL Forum :: - 2008-2009 Prediction?

We have gotten no Oline replacements so now we will have to rely on rookies which often doesnt work out well, non stable QB, and average at best WRs. ...
    NFL Forum :: - 2008-2009 Prediction? - 76k - Cached - Similar pages
    Set QB situations have become a passing fancy - quarterback ...

And for everyone who has the luxury of rooting for a team with a stable quarterback situation, count your blessings and count on your team's having a ...
    findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_n17_v217/ai_15355679 - 43k - Cached - Similar pages
    The Chronicle - Duke enters season with stable QB situation

Duke enters season with stable QB situation. By: Kevin Lloyd. Posted: 9/1/00. Stability. This is not a word that has been associated with Duke football in ...
    www.dukechronicle.com/home/index.cfm?event=displayArticlePrinterFriendly&uStory_id=741b901e-3b21-46c7... - 7k - Cached - Similar pages

Scout.com: Tennessee Forums List

Look at LSU, with a stable QB they won several games (and lost two in 3x OTs), and they got a win against an inferior UT team with luck and lack luster QB ...
    mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=7&f=1371&t=2400444&sto=pagestart - 34k - Cached - Similar pages

9. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

I was about to mock you for confusing "stable QB" with "stable QB," but then I realized that I was doing the same thing.

Basically, I recently saw someone on here claim we have a "stable" of QBs coming up through the ranks.

But yes, bhelmLSU was just saying that we have a stable QB with Garrett, in other words, an average quarterback, nothing special. Yes, I read it the wrong way. I'm sorry.

But is Garrett really just a stable QB, average, nothing special? Based on the links I read earlier in this thread, MSU fans were wowed by this guy and thought he would bring their offense to another level (but many of them also thought he would ride the bench the whole time at LSU).

10. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

What is so difficult to judge is the mental makeup of the QB. 5 and 4 Star talent that looks so good at the high school level may not translate to SEC. They may never develop the decision making process that they didn't need in HS because of superior athletics. I am watching Taylor Potts at TTU right now, he has it all, on the surface. He can make all the throws; but knowing which throw and to who is sometimes more important. Game management.

When you find a QB who can translate this sentiment to the football field, you have a winner:

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me".