Chris Ivory on injured reserve

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by Cajun Sensation, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Damn that hurts.

The Saints need a running game like the 9'ers need a quarterback.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad, hopefully PT can go full out...

3. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Not having a power run game is something I just don't think will get us thru the playoffs. Past Seattle, sure, but not past that point. Brees has been having to put the ball up entirely too much, hench the 20+ ints.

Hopefully CSP can come up with a game plan that utilizes what we have, and finds a way to get Bush into open space. If he plays like he did in the TB game we can make it work. Problem is he isn't an every down back, and really isn't built for busting up the middle.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

You are totally right.

Lets say NO beats Seattle.

If Green Bay wins, it's off to Chicago for the Saints. If Philly wins, it's off to Atlanta. Then NO would either play in Chicago or Philly, so, it's going to be cold, in at least 1 game for NO in the postseason, maybe even 2 if it gets cold in Seattle Saturday.

The Saints must be able to run the football, or it's curtains, especially outdoors if the weather is bad.

5. LEGACY TIGER

Exactly.

Ok, so lets try to spin what we do have into a positive. We have one of the best QB's in the NFL and we have some of the best WR's that money can buy. Neither are used to playing in the cold, like Chic or Philly. Ever try catching a football when it is 20 something degrees? I know I have and the damn thing feels like trying to catch a brick.

Our receivers will have problems holding onto the ball in those conditions. We maybe able to move the ball some thru the air, but I don't think that the way we have had to live and die this season will cut it in those conditions. There is a reason teams from up north have power run games, they are built for the cold, we are not.

6. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

We won it with PT and Bush and Mike Bell was a total non factor as a 3rd back (didn't even play except for the famous "what cleats you got on" play in the Super Bowl).

So it's not the end of the world. It does limit us to some extent in the running game.

But if PT can be PT (see Atlanta game), we can win the Super Bowl without Ivory without a doubt.

My concern is PT getting reinjured and then we are in deep doo doo.

7. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

Reggie just needs to nut up like he did last year in the playoffs. If Reggie can get 100 yards from scrimmage a game we will be going to superbowl. Pt healthy and Reggie pouring it on and we can do it without ivory. Bet saints will be drafting running backs this spring. You think we may see ridley in black and gold next year?

8. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

9. LEGACY TIGER

That's just it, PT isn't 100% and RB isn't either. Also, the playbook has been a pass happy playbook over the past 8-10 weeks, which was partly due to a depleted running attack. Also, as I mentioned, no power run game in cold weather conditions will seriously limit what this team can do.

We might be able to win games in domes and in warm conditions, but if we end up in Philly or Chi we are going to be facing a major uphill battle with no power run game.