Christianity-NO; Allah-YES!

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LsuCraig, May 23, 2006.

1. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

When is the last time a student in a public school recited John 3:16? You'll have to dig some to find the answer to that question.

My children would not participate in this exercise. Period.

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

the way that article is written, i dont trust it to be telling the story accurately. but i dont doubt their could be idiot teachers out there trying to indoctrinate kids.

but as a part of social studies, kids should learn what is going on with islam, and what muslims believe.

article: "while continuing to denigrate Judeo-Christian values."

i doubt anyone is denigrating judeo christian values. i dont trust the writer.

3. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I agree with martin on this one. The article is written to incite reaction from Christians. I am sure there is very little truth to it. I especially doubt that the lieberal wacko commie teacher made fun of Christianity in order to impress the tennants of Islam on the students.

4. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

You tools are over complicating this. It is not so much anti-Christian as it is pro-Islam. It's no different than black history month. It is pure appeasement. Islam wasn't discussed, not in this much detail anyway, prior to 9-11. I don't pretend to understand the reasoning behind this, I just see it for what it is. Many people, when faced with something they fear, will give into it rather than fight it. Instead of damning Islam, some in our country have chosen to embrace it.

We all know that having American school children recite passages from the quran is crazy. Admit it. We can't hang the Ten Commandments up in the classroom, but for two weeks, they can turn that same classroom into Saudi Arabia.

Open your eyes sheep, before it's too late. If you're not a Christian, that's between you and God, but at least take some pride in being an American. Stand up for our common culture. Islam is not part of our culture. Islam is anti-American. I'm sure it tickles the terrorist pink knowing that the next generation of American fighting men are being desensitized to the hatred that is Islam. Ask a WWII vet what was taught about the japs during their war.

:dis:

5. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

The point of my post was that these public schools would bring in the teacher's unions, the ACLU if they were told to teach Christianity and play role playing games where they recite scripture from the Bible. But to do so with Islam and Allah is perfectly acceptable because they are learning world history and cultures. Culture no culture, no one would be reciting Christian doctrine in a classroom at the direction of the teacher.

These people who profess so hard to a separation of church and state have no problem with Islamic symbols everywhere. They want a separation of Christian church and state......that's all. I just want people to be honest about what they want.

6. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

I found another article that presented a different perspective on this case. Never heard of this writer or the website, but there are always two sides to every story.

The teacher gave students the option to participate in this role-playing:

And the family suing didn't have a problem with her son playing the role of a priest during role-playing on medieval history. Sounds like this family wants to only discuss christianity in their school. Can't have it both ways.

Full Story

7. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I figured we could expect to see some more light on the subject...

Interesting that this article says that there was role playing with christianity, when the last one specifically siad there was none. However, it sounds as though the two role playing aspects were different in that one just involved christianity, while the other was entirely about being a muslim. It also doesn't mention whether her son had to read scripture out of the bible.

I've had projects before that were "a choice", but the alternative is to write some 20 page paper or something that will be graded hard, as opposed participating and getting an easy A. That's not much of a choice. So I'm weary of how to interpret the statement that it was an option.

This case is difficult because I think we should educate kids about other cultures, but when we have interpreted the constitution to say that the school cannot lead prayers - how do we define when teacher instructed prayer is okay, by the context? That seems like a pain to go to court to figure out the context every time.

I suspect that even if it were merely a roll playing exercise, some would have a problem with kids being instructed to say Christian prayers to god. Although schools all across the nation perform "A christmas story" and other plays that present similar questions...

8. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

When I took World History in High School we spent alot more time on Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, and Bhudism than we did on Christianity. We learned all the core tennants of those faiths at avery high level. It made sense because we were a classroom entirely of Christians. We did cover Christianity, but going over doctrine was kind of pointless. We more over went over how the Church spread and split, and continued to grow.

9. CParso

CParso Founding Member

And what is the point of going over doctrine for muslims?

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

"Know the enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles you will never be in peril. When you are ignorant of the enemy, but know yourself, your chances of winning or losing are equal. If ignorant both of your enemy and yourself, you are certain in every battle to be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

"It pays to know the enemy - not least because at some time you may have the opportunity to turn him into a friend." -- Margaret Thatcher

It really doesn't matter what the issue is, does it? Those who disagree with Salty about, say . . . grade-school history classwork are obviously unpatriotic to America. Blind sheep, a pack of tools.

Sure, pal. Whatever you say.