Chrome Memory Hog

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Bengal B, May 14, 2015.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

No, you are wrong. My private email is from a commercial provider, but they do not track my usage and sell it. It is the free email providers like Yahoo, Facebook, and Google that track your mail and sell the data. Nothing is truly free. major providers like Earthlink and Microsoft Office have subscription costs but do not sell your data. I pay $7 a month for mine.

Listed below are email services that offer two advantages over services like Gmail or Yahoo Mail — they do not scan your emails, and they provide a fairly secure environment for email storage. They also do not require personal information like phone numbers during registration.

http://www.greycoder.com/private-email-providers/

2. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I'm so fugged up, anyone buying my info will be sorry. Very sorry. It won't make any sense.

fanatic likes this.
  3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

You are a master of disinformation.

4. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Answer = Multiple email accounts. I use gmail for day to day because I couldn't give a damn what Google pops up on a banner, it syncs over multiple platforms, etc.. I have a private email address for important information.

Chrome is definitely a hog these days. I use Chromium (Linux). Its basically Chrome with a few less features (so less memory usage) and a bit more privacy (very small bit). If you want privacy online, use TOR.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I don't know why anybody would go to a lot of trouble just to keep from getting a few marketing emails. If I start to get too many from one source its easy to create a filter in gmail and then all those messages go right to the spam folder. I have multipe gmail and yahoo accounts but I use one gmail account as my main email for business and personal messages. If I am looking for some info and I get to a capture page I use one of the other addresses if I have to respond to a link in an email they send to get to the info or if I don't care that much about it I just put in a fake name and address. Name: Oog Email: [email protected] I know that those capture pages are there so they can put you on their list.

All the paper mail I get in my physical mailbox is much more annoying. All the pizza coupons

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Tell them that you accept their job offer and to wire your signing bonus by Western Union

KyleK likes this.
  8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Me and Teri saban sext on occasion. I always tell her to use the crystal toy so she thinks I'm him.

CajunlostinCali likes this.
  9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

With balls that big Terri knows its not Nick.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It's way more than the targeted advertising by Google itself. They sell information to private investigators, government agencies, potential employers, data miners, and other folks you don't want your personal life revealed to. Not to mention many other internet companies with every marketing scheme you can imagine. They are often forced to give it up to law enforcement, as well. Google links data across its services, analyses it and sell it. They can tell everything there is to know about you by the words you use in your emails and the sites that you visit from their each engines. They know your wealth, your race, your age, they know your interests, who you do business with, your religious beliefs, the music you like, what your perversions are, how smart you are, how gullible you are, and hundreds of other elements with which they can invade your privacy.

Nothing we can do about much of it, but you should be vigilant about giving up any information you don't have to. "Free" services rob you of your privacy. They get their profit by gathering information about you and selling it. And they conspire.

The new fish taco place gives a receipt with a scancode that you can scan with a phone app and get a free meal after several purchases. But the app won't let you login unless you agree to let them track your location, so that they can show you places to eat near you and send you push notifications and in the process, running the battery down from constant GPS receiver usage. Your pattern of eating and spending is then shared with every eatery on their system.

Me . . . I give a phony take-out name, pay with cash, and drop the receipt in the trash. I will forego the free meal and the theft of a digital record of my whereabouts and it is no trouble at all. All I have to do is NOT play their game.