Chuck I have a question for you..

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TexasTigers, Nov 9, 2002.

1. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

What year did Auburn go undefeated, I know they were in timeout that year, but I remember they went undefeated. 11-0 What year was that and who won the SEC west and SEC that year.

Thanks. (I need this for an argument)

2. chuck

chuck Founding Member

Alabama won the West and Florida won the East. Flordia went on to beat Alabama in the SEC CCG. UF then went on to beat previously undefeated W. Virginia by about 80 in the Sugar Bowl.

Also . . . .in that year . .

FSU lost to Notre Dame
    Notre Dame lost to Boston College
    Boston College lost to West Virginia
    West Virginia lost to UF . .
    Auburn beat UF . .soooooooo . .we should be National Champs right . .? right ? uh . . anyone . .?

3. TexasTigers

The reason I ask, lets just say Bama has the best record in the west this year. Very possible. It seems the west is Auburn, or LSU's to lose at this point since Arkansas has 3 SEC losses.

Anyway, ALL the Bama fans are already saying they will be SEC West Champs and whomever goes represents Alabama in the Title game.

My point is, I wonder if ANY of the Bama fans, said they were representing Auburn that year ??? And were calling Auburn SEC West Champs.

Personally I like all the Bama fans I have met, but I am already seeing some "Reversal" on their part.

Thanks Brother.

4. chuck

chuck Founding Member

well . .

IF . . Alabama wins out . .they can't say they are the SEC West champs, nor can they say that Auburn or LSU represents Alabama. However, they would be able to do what Auburn did in 1993. Say they were the BEST team in the SEC.

Actually, a quick edit . .if Alabama wins out the can say they are the best team in the SEC West . .but not the SEC, as they lost to UGA.

5. bayoutider

bayoutider Founding Member

TT what I recall most Bama posters saying is that Alabama wants to post a record that will show that the best team from the West isn't in Atlanta for the SECCG. I don't recall anyone saying that the West representitive is representing Alabama.

6. TexasTigers

http://www.tidefans.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/028027.html

"Lsu will "represent" Bama in the SECG from the west."
    (Just below one of your posts)

"I agree with bama69.
    Whoever goes from the West will represent Bama.
    Probably LSU. "

Its the thread entitled who will represent the west.

Look you know I dig Bama fans, I have never met one I didnt like and BAMAFAN03 is a high school kid, so he does not count.

I agree with Chuck, if Bama wins then you are right, the best team in the SEC West wont be there, but you wont be SEC west champions, and you cannot say you are represented.

7. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Fanatic fans of a football team are . . .

entitled to say the wildest and most outlanding things imaginable on fan message boards.

It's easier to ignore them than it is to argue about it.

I won't think for a second who LSU "represents", if we make it to Atlanta. I will simply be thankful that we made it.

If Alabama ends up having the best W/L record in the West and the entire SEC, they will claim to be the SEC West and SEC Conference champs, no matter what Auburn or LSU says or does.

I'd like to know what happened to our dominating Offensive line and Defensive line pass rush. We'll need our D to again perform like the #1 Defense to get to Atlanta.

Everybody is gunning for us now; NONE of our next three opponents are going to be "flat" against us. The Piggies already have it booked that we will lose to Bama and them, which sends the Piggies to Atlanta.

Now we just can't let that happen. We can afford a loss to Bama or Ole Miss, but we must beat the Piggies in Little Rock.

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

You are dead wrong, Jean Lafitte.

In order to "represent" in the SECCG you have to have the best record in your division (or the tiebreaker), and you need to be ELIGIBLE. If Bama ends up with the best record, they are not in any fashion the "true" champion. Arguably, they would have compiled the "best record" through ill-gotten means, thus rendering them INeligible.
    Anyway, the road to Atlanta still travels through Baton Rouge and Bama hasn't won the game yet. Don't chalk up the "best record" yet, Tide. Just because the surface is calm doesn't mean there aren't any alligators. Or, my new favorite saying: "Don't pour the gatorade until the game is over".

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Sorry, Jean Lafitte...

In retrospect, I believe I misinterpreted your comments. Let my previous post be directed to those who may feel that the best record entitles them to some sort of bragging rights. This is not to be interpreted as any sort of smack to Bama fans. I don't have a problem with any of their posters over here. Now Auburn fans...well, let's not go there lest the now 3 week old 31-7 chant again rear it's ugly head.

10. bayoutider

bayoutider Founding Member

I don't think Alabama fans will lay any claim to the SEC Championship this season if we win out. Coach Fran won't have SEC Pseudo-Champ rings or Co-Champ rings made up like Tubberville. We are fully aware that we are not elligable to win or compete for the championship. What the posters are gettin at is that we played the games and our record speaks for itself. You will find randome posts like the one you describe, but we know we are in time out. But you will probably find a lot of posts that read "SEC Champs play in Hawaii". It's our joke and no disrespect intended to the eventual champ even if they do get in through the back door.