Clarett ineligible?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsu99, Apr 19, 2004.

1. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Sorry, but whoever said that Clarett showed up for his personal workout (I think it was vincent4heisman) out of shape and performed sub par is off. Clarett-according to General Managers, head coaches (Marvin Lewis being one), and scouting coordinators in attendance (Which there were over 20+)-performed as expected and solidified that he is an early round draft pick. Mind you, no one was talking first, and only some whispered second...but, they did not say he was out of shape nor that he was slow. He weighed in at his playing weight his frosh season in Columbus.

As for the person who asked the question about Mike Williams leaving on bad terms at USC, he most certainly did. In an interview after his professional declaration, he said that not everyone on the team was as willing to work hard as he and other "name" players on the team were in terms of their season by season goals.

His teammates afterwards basically gave a vanilla yet ironic response that it seemed that Williams was always one known to create dramatic situations in which he was the calming influence within the team dynamic, and his comments weren't anything they were surprised by.

2. eric d

eric d Founding Member

The NFL didn't actually win. They were just granted a stay. According the radio broadcast in Houston, the decision will come sometime in the next month or so, and if the NFL loses the players can go into the supplemental draft.

3. LOTTERY

LOTTERY Founding Member

Old enough to go to war and die, but not old enough to pursue own financial interest. ridiculous

4. tiger777

tiger777 Founding Member

this is bullcrap. the nfl is a private employer and should be able to set the guidelines to when someone is qualified for the job. the nfl doesn't feel that the kids are qualified. i don't care the reasoning behind it, even if they say they don't have enough of an education, the nfl should still be able to make the rules on who they can employ.

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

nor can they buy a beer but that's another topic. I agree, its ridiculous to pretend most of these kids are there for their education when its purely for the profit of these universities. It should be their choice....this is America, isn't it?

6. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

The NFL is like you said, a private employer, they should'nt even be in court defending their rules for employment. BS! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

sure they have their say in the matter but to think they are doing it because they feel these guys aren't ready is not factual. its their minor league system that saves them from having to create one. they know some guys are ready and would gladly accept them but they know the long term impact it could have on revenue. Its their choice so I guess i agree with them making a decision based on the best interest of their business. I just think its ridiculous the reasons they sell to the public for doing so.

8. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Neither will be allowed to return as eligible by NCAA guidelines. However, as stated by an earlier post, the NCAA can allow it through special provision, but it is extremely rare due to the slippery slope issue. Clarrett and Williams will likely be eligible to be selected in the NFL Supplemental Draft. Interesting though that Soph. Larry Fitzgerald was declared eligible in a separate court case.

Unfortunately, this really screws up much of the draft preparations made by many of the NFL teams. If an NFL team selects a player in the SD, they must forfeit their right to the equivalent round's pick in the subsequent draft (2005).

And don't kid yourself, there's not a CFB coach in America that wouldn't welcome Mike Williams with open arms if the court will allow it - including Carroll and Saban.

9. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

I agree totally. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

10. eric d

eric d Founding Member

The reasoning behind why they don't want to let them in is unimportant, or it should be. If the league doesn't want to let someone in, then so be it. They are a private industry, and as such they should be able to determine what they feel is in the League's best interest. Personally, I don't care one way or another. I prefer college anyway.
    Now, some lawyer might come along and try to say that they are not a private industry because many of the stadiums around the league are paid for with tax dollars. Don't know if they could win that, but something that some lawyer somewhere would definitely try if they have the opportunity.