Classic albums by substance of preference?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by lsu99, Dec 15, 2014.

1. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Is there a list of greatest albums split between use of substances during the creative process of writing and collaborating on songs?

For example, completely sober, alcohol only, alcohol/pot only, alcohol/pot/cocaine, alcohol/pot/psychadelics.

Not sure of all combinations but curious which category would have the best list.

Guessing The Beatles had quite a few different categories depending on the album?

2. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Pink Floyd. In every catagory. They might actually top every category.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Is there such a thing as a sober, drug free musician?

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

taylor swift. she sucks but she will just shake it off all the way to the bank.

5. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I saw part of her interview recently and she said she drinks. That shake it off song is catchy despite my attempts to hate hate hate on her and that type of music.

Mostly referring to the age of albums with band members hanging out at a house while getting wasted and writing music by figuratively feeding off each other.

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

i speak of this often. i think great bands almost always have a short shelf life because its often the perfect mix of people, drugs, testosterone and youth that cant be replicated once it has passed. but mostly i think its the drugs. counting crows could never replicate the formula after their debut album. but theyve tried. no dice.

and no, a mojito doesnt count.

bayareatiger likes this.
  7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Drugs and the fact that once they hit the big time they forget their roots. Its not easy to write gritty songs about the blues of the working class at 40,000 feet in your own private jet

8. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Aerosmith made some great tunes while they were wasted. Tyler claimed their music and creativity expanded when they cleaned up but I disagree. Jainie got a gun is a horrific song.

Appetite for destruction may be one of the greatest collection of rock songs ever put into one album. Adler ans Stradlin were for sure wasted, I'm sure axl was as well. Slash may have been the only one clean, still need to read his book.

Thus list could go on forever.

Pintoracer likes this.
  9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Probably something to that. Pot and booze music have longer lives than acid, cocaine, speed, quaalude, crack, or ecstasy music.

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Anyone who makes a song that has the lyrics "we all live in a yellow submarine" was tripping balls.