Clayton to announce....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by amedee83, Jan 11, 2004.

1. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

While upset to see him leave, I am happy for him. He is, by far, the best jr we have, and is the only one who should go pro early. As long as we retain everyone else, we will be good...the defensive guys are the key...we are loaded at reciever thankfully.

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

His blocking skills alone make him that much more of a pro prospect. NFL teams love receivers who can block downfield. And he is one of the best. Don't be surprised if San Francisco drafts him as they are probably losing Owens. San Francisco's offense has always been about blocking receivers.

3. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

For a receiver to win the Heisman, he must do something more than play receiver. He must return punts or play some DB, two things that MC would not have been doing had he returned. RBs and QBs win the Heisman trophy.

4. amedee83

amedee83 Founding Member

This decision is not built around Heisman

candidate...coming back just to want to win would be a terrible reason to return. Clayton has done wonders at LSU and is a great football player that will be drafted from 12-32 IMO...most Mock Drafts have him as such.

What we need to do, as he said in his press conference that he has done just about everything he wanted to do and with professional guidance from Saban and his family has made the best decision for him. That is what we should be focused. Our LSU kids don't establish ourselves to be built around awards, we are built around high work ethic, great character and joy!

Nick Saban has brought all this to LSU and the players. Clayton is well respected and our current players need to support as well as us. Someone is going to have a great football player but more important a great person. Clayton has Saban in him and that is all that matters = simply "Class"!!

Good luck to you Mr. Clayton and God has a place for you...and make us proud as I know you will. "Once a Tiger, Always a Tiger"....

5. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

I get a kick out of ANYONE who calls taking a job opportunity to hike your salary from minimum wage for 4-5 months per year to MILLIONS OF DOLLARS PER YEAR a dumb move...

I'm guessing you would stay at your minimum wage job for another year because you, "really loved it and thought if you stayed for ANOTHER YEAR OF MINIMUM WAGE, you might make even more later..."

Nevermind if you produce when you leave you'll make it all back anyway...

Tiger777, I'm very tempted to send some pithy remarks your way, but I think it'll be much easier to just keep that little comment tucked away for a later date, so when Clayton DOES start to excel at the next level, you'll look even "dumber" than you think Clayton looks.

I'm guessing you'd turn down a chance to move into CCLA four months from now because you actually LIKE Sterling University Crescent and want to stay there another YEAR before you can start proving to the same boss that'd pay you RIGHT NOW...

It's like telling a recruiter upon graduation that even though you're Summa Cum Laude in your degree field of study, you want to go to grad school for ONE MORE YEAR, just because you love it so much...

What more can Clayton prove? Do you not think that other elite wideouts won't step up their play like Clayton of OU or Mike Williams of USC next year? You're high, man!

You don't think that Clayton's stats will go down if Mauck doesn't return, and we get a greenhorn QB in there next year? You don't think that with teams keying on him even MORE with the loss of speedster Devery Henderson he'll be even MORE of a focal point and have NO REAL ABILITY to prove himself anymore than he has already?

Get real...I'm guessing you should step away from the keyboard after that one...

6. islstl

This may be a tell tale sign Mauck is gone. Clayton probably has already gotten the decision from Mauck about not coming back.

If I were Clayton, I would bolt. A freshman QB is too questionable for your senior season.

The writing is on the wall about Mauck I am afraid.

And I am afraid that all freshman wideouts (with a couple of sophomores) with a freshman QB is asking a bit much.

I hope Mauck stays now.

7. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Damn, I'm gonna miss him ! Best of luck Michael !

8. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

islstl...I have heard that Flynn is a quicker, stronger armed version of MM, and that Flynn can make NFL throws at this time, and sees the field perfectly...

I have heard that Flynn knows the playbook backwards and forwards, but that Russell also knows the plays as well...It's just that Flynn has BURIED himself in it, and Russell has taken time to bond with his teammates on the sidelines this season, which I think is a good idea...

I think that with a STABLE OF THOROUGHBREDS in the backfield that we'll have returning, along with an absolutely DEVASTATING offensive line (Whitworth, Livings, Wilkerson, Niswanger, and McGill all return with starting experience), the freshman quarterback-whomever it turns out to be-will not be counted on to do anything but "progress" into the position...

I think it's an ideal opportunity...because Vincent, Broussard, Edwards, and Addai are going to go into this off-season like it's the option year of their contract in the NFL...They're going to try to outwork, out train, out lift, outlearn, outlast, and outplay each other on the way to taking the reigns of the LSU backfield...

That's going to mean that LSU's starting running back next year will be a legitimate all-conference selection...BOOK IT.

With a running game, the quarterback will be allowed to be brought along incrementally, and perhaps even allow for a quarterback competition to develop...The defense is going to be even better next year with Kyle Williams taking over at DT for Lavalais with two years of eligibiilty left, and our linebacking nucleus of Turner and Cam Vaughn returns as well. We've also got the best JC linebacker in America who practiced with LSU in the bowl game, and I think that in the secondary, with LaRon Landry and Travis Daniels coming back, we'll be alright. I've also got a sneaking suspicion that Cory Webster's coming back as well...

The QB situation and the WR situation isn't one we'll have to sweat too much next year if you ask me...

9. islstl

I agree that one must not forget the LSU defense. They won 3 games with little or no help from the offense this year.

They will be just as good as last year. I think Jesse Daniels will grow into the role at Safety to replace Hunt. I also think Webster will be back.....this year's talent pool at DB is better than it has been in quite some time. He's a first rounder if he waits til next year.

Kirston Pittman will play a bigger role as well this year. He is someone with unlimited talent. I would not be surprised if Luke Sanders ends up starting by the end of the season at SAM. He is listed with 4.44 speed in one publicatoin. That is almost Mark Fields speed.

TE, you have Williams taking over Lavalais's spot? Wasn't he already starting at the other DT spot this year? I still think Wroten will step right end and cause havoc, especially in the running game. He is huge at 6' 3" 315 pounds (which usually means he is probably 330 more likely).

10. TigerLifer3

TigerLifer3 Founding Member

good luck Mike, it will be fun watching you play on Sundays. You know the way most sites have their mocks, he is going to go to a playoff contender in the middle to late first round.