Clayton to announce....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by amedee83, Jan 11, 2004.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Good point.....will be glad to see that.

2. TigerPrideLSU

TigerPrideLSU Founding Member

I heard from a very reliable source that Matt Mauck won't be back. He told me about it today.

3. Pastimer

Pastimer Founding Member

It has been suggested on other threads that LSU won't miss Michael Clayton because of the great depth at WR. Don't buy it. Yes, we have great talent at the position. But LSU will miss Clayton on 3rd down when we HAVE to have a critical catch for a 1st down. LSU will miss his tenacious downfield blocking. LSU will miss other teams keying on him and leaving other receivers open. LSU will miss his leadership.

That opinion expressed, it will be interesting to see who among the recievers will turn into the next go-to guy and fill Clayton's empty shoes. Could be Skyler Green. Could be Amp Hill. Could be Bowe. Could be Davis. Could be Doucet ... hmmmm, maybe we won't miss Clayton for long.

4. LSUHotdog

LSUHotdog Founding Member

We also lose Devery and Mike, so our WR corps takes a shot and I am not so sure that Skyler is a #1 receiver. So I think Bowe will be our #2 and Davis, Amp, Doucet, and Carter have it up for grabs. It will help that David Jones is such a good receiver also.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Maybe they could go to a "Double Barrell Shotgun" offense next year and start both of them.

;) :cool:

6. CA Tiger

CA Tiger Freshman

Of course the tigers are going to miss Clayton but I think he's making the right decision. I think he'll show that he is the best wr to ever play at LSU. He didn't have the best all time numbers but his game is so complete, he's already a pro. I've never seen a wr block as well as Clayton. Some of his blocks this year are unreal, and he goes after it every play. His speed is underrated and he has great acceleration. Great routes, great hands, smart. I'm a big Dolphin fan and really hoping they get him at 20 but I don't think he falls that low. Once the scouts really study the film on this guy his stock will rise. IMO, the best football player at LSU in the last 20 years. I wish him all the best.

We miss him but I don't think it hurts next years team much. We are loaded. The Ol will be dominant and deep. Vincent is a real talent but I think Broussard is being overlooked. This guy is a hammer. Against quicker teams that can defend wide he will be more effective. We're loaded at wr even w/o Clayton. I look for Hill and Doucet to emerge with Green continuing his roll. Skyler Green is really good, reminds me of Tony Moss a little bit but better. Jones is a player at te or h-back. I think our downfield passing game improves with either Russell or Flynn and we are a more run oriented team, especially early in the year.

If Hill and Webster decide to stay, FUGADABOUTIT. We would have senior all-american, probable high 1st round draft picks at de. K. Williams and either Wroten, Stewart, Washington, etc. at the other tackle. Kyle Williams is really good and will step up. A secondary of Webster, Daniels, Landry, and J. Daniels. Are you kidding me! Vaughn and Turner are solid and experienced. Our depth is great with all these outstanding recruting classes Saban has put together. We do not lose with this defense.

7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I could not have written this any better myself.

8. CA Tiger

CA Tiger Freshman

Thanks isltizzle, really enjoy your posts as well.

9. tiger777

tiger777 Founding Member

TE i didn't say he wouldn't be a great player its just that if clarret wins vs the nfl look for mike williams and larry fitzgerald to go. if that happens that means he will be at least the 5th maybe even the 6th wr taken and thats a big difference then the 2nd or 3rd.but if clarrett loses or fails to win in time and he has a good combine and goes ahead of reshaun woods then everything is even. he will not go any higher than the 3rd wr drafted. I think he will be a great nfl wr though and i never said i didn't. i wish him goodluck.

10. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

Williams played a lot this year, but if I'm not mistaken, Bryce Wyatt was the other starting DT for much of the year. He was
    definitely overshadowed by his other 3 teammates on the DL.