Clayton's best shot at NFL

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by HatcherTiger, Dec 11, 2003.

1. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

A friend of mine believes that the only reason Michael Clayton will be back next year is so that he can play defense full time. His "sources" tell him that our receivers will be deep enough next year so that Clayton can play defense. Apparently, the "thought" is that his best chance for success as a pro is as a defensive back and not a receiver. I have heard Saban say that MC would be the best defensive back in the SEC if he played defense. Sounds like an awful 'lot of speculation. Has anyone else heard this ?

2. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

It is very doudtful that Clayton would make a full time change to D in his final season. Besides we are deep and talented at DB and Clayton can and will play WR at the next level. You may be right but I highly doubt it, I just hope he comes back period.

3. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

I'm sorry man, but that is crap. Michael Clayton is widely regarded as one of the most talented WR's in the nation. If he went this year, most think he would still be at top 15-20 draft pick. Next year, maybe a top 10...

4. DallasLSU

Even with the Mike Williams and Fitzgeralds, Clayton would still be a top pick...Book it.

5. HatcherTiger

I'm just reporting what I heard, this news was the first time that I had heard it. I agree with Twisted, I just hope he comes back. Put him at QB, RG, LT, C , DE .... I don't care. He will succeed in the NFL, the guy has unbelievable athletic ability and is a fearsome competitor.

6. DallasLSU

Oh I know. I am not saying it is BS...I am just saying that there is no way they move him to Defensive 100%...

7. HatcherTiger

Wouldn't it be nice though ? Poor little running back trying to turn the corner on a sweep ...... Ask the Auburn kick-off returner from the 2001 game what its like to feel a full impact with Michael Clayton. What would he be moved to FS, SS , CB ? I can't recall where he was at the beginning of the year.

8. DoubleCutter

DoubleCutter Founding Member

>Put him at QB, RG, LT, C , DE .... I don't care.<

Clayton is most probaly the kind of guy that could play any of the skill positions and do a decent job--WR, DB, RB, QB.

I remember when Dalton Hilliard played for the Saints, two Saints QBs were injured by the end of the game, and even though the Saints had another backup QB if needed, one of the media asked the coach(can't remember who it was), and the coach said that if all his QBs were injured he said that he would put Dalton in at QB, he had the best ball handling experience and had the best skills to fill in. I think that is pretty much the same for Clayton, in a pinch he could play almost any skill position and do an adequate job at it.

9. tiger777

tiger777 Founding Member

why does everybody keep ?ing if clayton is coming back? he released a statement 2 weeks ago saying he was. I think everybody needs to drop this. another thing is clayton is regarded as one of the top wr in the country. many sights said if he came out he would be a top 15 pick. he will be the second wr taken next year behind williams of usc. fitzgerald will leave this year.

10. HatcherTiger

Its the "at this time" qualification that Clayton made that has people still talking. I feel he will be back.