Clippers Owner makes racist comments

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Here is the whole conversation on youtube. I wonder who was recording it and why

2. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

That is my point…She likely recorded it. She was asking prying questions and trying to get as much on tape as possible IMO. SHe is relevant on this topic no matter if she recovered it or not because she was the one she was having a conversation with. I bet if you look at google trends she is googled almost as much as he is.

3. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

I guess we have two views of relevant. Is she a part of the story? Yes. Even if she recorded and released it they are his thoughts. Maybe she was tired of his racial insensitivity and wanted to expose him for what he seems to be.
    To me she has no relevance to his thoughts and beliefs which seems to me to be the major point of this issue.
    Now if she edited the conversation to change the meaning of his words then everything changes and she has more relevance.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Its hard to believe that a guy who was up for an award from the NAACP and who hired black coaches and general managers could be as blatantly bigoted as he sounds on the recording but you never know. Magic Johnson said he had been to Sterling's house and had eaten dinner with him many times and that Sterling regularly asked Magic for advice on basketball matterd

5. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

We never hear what he thinks or said without her. This is the story. We already know exactly what he said but now everyone wants to know the background and context of the story. The new audio with both of them having a racial conversation shows even more of what they were both dealing with in the relationship and she questions him to get clarity and try to find out where his views come from.

6. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

Similarly to the Riley Cooper story, It's hard to really punish a guy being secretly recorded and them speaking within their own privacy. What is this world coming to if people are getting fired or punished for things said while being secretly recorded. Sure, it's after the fact now and he should be punished now that we've heard it, but there are laws of consent to protect people legally in these instances for a reason. If he is a racist, so be it. Most of us are anyways, we just are smart enough not to express it... or lucky enough not to have been recorded.

Having said that, if he was dumb enough to say it in public or loud enough for someone to hear him, then he should lose his job as most companies should have policies regarding these issues.

7. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

very well said

8. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

that would be fine, if he didnt a documented history of saying and doing this types of things. but good cover on your part.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Who among us has not told his girlfriend to stop hanging around with Magic?

10. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

This is a bit of a conundrum. What he said was obviously highly objectionable and inappropriate, particularly for someone in his position. However, I also don't know that what he said violates any type of law or regulations that the league may have, so I don't know what could be done to him, other than willful lack of patronage on the part of Clippers fans.

This is a wet dream for ESPN, though.