Clippers Owner makes racist comments

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Apr 26, 2014.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

On the other hand sponsors ducking out hurts the entire team, not just the owner. The guy is worth $2 billion, this will not hurt him personally.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Under the NBA Constitution they don't have the power to force Sterling to sell the team or take it away from him. They do have the power to disband the franchise, although I can't see that happening. What I would like to know is do they have the power to grant free agency to any player of coach who says he can never work for Sterling again. Doc Rivers has already said he would never coach for the Clippers again after this season's playoffs are over. This season was the first year of his contract.

And if Sterling is banned but still is the owner who runs the team? Somebody hired by Sterling or somebody appointed by the NBA. I know the league would love to have Magic Johnson's group somehow gain ownership of the team. They have already tried to buy the Lakers but the Buss family is not selling.

3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I see your point, but this is really the only power these sponsors have.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It seems so. But something that holds the owner accountable for his actions rather than the entire team would deb better. Now that he is banned, perhaps they will continue team sponsorship.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Don't worry. You will soon be sick and tired of hearing about this one as the media beats it to death until some new story comes along. And a new story ALWAYS comes along.

6. mctiger

I'm all for something that punishes only Donald Stirling. Certainly he is the only person at fault here (forgetting for a moment that the recording that started all of this was probably illegal). But, big picture...we're talking about the owner of what is essentially a huge company (in terms of its value), having the company taken away from him for a politically incorrect comment he made in private. Remember your post earlier in the thread, about reasonable expectations of privacy, and comments that, while reprehensible, are not illegal? I won't try to argue for a second that nothing should happen to him, but you tell me....this is America....is what happened today fair? Is it even legal?

We got us one fracked-up situation here.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Of course its legal. Surreptitious recordings like that are not admissable in a court of law but this is not a courtroom. When Sterling bought the Clippers he agreed to abide by the rules and bylaws of the National Basketball Association. What happened was not a legal proceeding.

This is America. You are still free to say anything you want. You are not free from the consequences of stupidity. Lets put it this way. Suppose your dog bites me. You deny in public that your dog did it. Then I record a private conversation where you admit your dog bit me and you even laugh about it and tell me you will sic your dog on me, my kids and any other stupid kids that dare to walk across your yard. I can't use the recording in a lawsuit but I can legally give the recording to anybody I choose, put it on the internet or even sell it to TMZ. If the consequences are that you get kicked out of your exclusive country club because your fellow members are so appalled by you egregious conduct then so be it. Perfectly legal because when you joined the club you agreed whether knowingly or tacitly that you were required by club rules to control your pets.

TigerBacker70 likes this.
  8. mctiger

I'm not sure that's a good analogy. The 'team ownership as a club that has rules the owner must follow'....I get that. But my country club membership is not a corporate entity. Its not a business valued at the top end of 9 figures that employs a hundred or so people and generates a huge income for me. A court may have something to say about that being taken away from me for comments I made in a private situation, that were recorded and made public without my knowledge.

And true, its not a legal proceeding....yet.

Also, if you secretly record me and sell it to TMZ, I'll sue you for invasion of privacy and illegally profiting by selling my image without my permission (unless you recorded me in a public place). I don't know if Louisiana law will be on my side, but from what I understand, California law will side with Stirling if he sues his GF.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Maybe country club was a bad example. Lets say you own a pet supply store and word gets out that you mistreat animals

Sterling can sue his GF but what does she have that he hasn't given her. As the case drags through the court system she gets more and more free publicity that I'm sure some agent will know how to capitalize upon

10. mctiger

Now I've broken the law. What law has Stirling broken?

Let's not go there.