CLM's 2007 MNC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tuckerman, Nov 23, 2009.

1. tuckerman

tuckerman Veteran Member

Coach Miles' win of the 2007 MNC is often brought up here as proof he is a great coach, loves LSU, we're lucky to have him, yadda yadda yadda. Just as an analogy I offer the following:

In 1995-96 the Dallas Cowboys won the Superbowl under Barry Switzer, 2 years after winning back-to-back titles with Jimmy Johnson. Does anyone really credit Switzer with the '05 trophy? Heck no, with that team he should have one the year before and for the two years afterward. But the Cowboys went into a spiral, one in which they have yet to recover. And that's what Miles was in '07, Barry Switzer, just a bus driver. LSU handed him the keys to a Machine, and 5 years later here we are, an also ran in the SEC West.

2. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

apples and oranges. very few nfl head coaches have total control and little to do with what players play for them, but they may have input.

college coaches control their own talent through recruiiting.

seriously i could've coached that switzer team to a super bowl. the cowboys were much better than anyone else that year. however that was a veteran team.
    the team that jerry put together was aging.

that's not a factor in college either.

i still refer to urban meyer (1st NC), jim tressel, and bob stoops.

all won championships in their 2nd years, stoops may have been 1st yr (don't remember) and no one called them bus drivers.

no one.

miles won in his 3rd year yet everyone wants to take it away from him.
    did the talent help? yes. but miles had two years of his own talent in by then.

plus few people give credit to miles for winning a conf cg with a backup qb. how many other teams could've done that regardless of who they're playing??

should we have been in a NC that year (after two losses waiting on pitt for help)? no but clearly we were better than most that year.

if you want to discredit miles look not at 07 (which true, we got a lucky roll of the dice but still won the games that made us champs) but 08 and 09 and more importantly 2010.
    if miles doesn't win the west next yr, he's probably gone anyway.

the clock has started on him after the ole miss game.

3. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I'm tired of some of us discounting the '07 BCSNC. If we want to discredit that by saying we were lucky to get in, fine. But let's admit we were lucky to be in the game in '03, too.

Just sayin...

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

i am not really buying this logic either, because the 06 team to me was more talented than the 07 team was. So to me he did more in 07 with less than he had in 06, if that makes sense.

Every championship takes luck, it just seems that Les' luck isn't showing up every game anymore.

5. ok awesome

ok awesome geaux

It was bad enough when other fans were taking shots at our 2007 season, now we have our own "fans" doing it.

6. LSUtiger327

yeah but the sched was a killer in 06. going to AU and UF. and the AU game was taken from us.

stacey pretty much said it all in way less words than i did.

7. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Actually, that 2007NC was very fortunate.

In the entire history of the NC games, dating back to 1869, only one other team won with 2 defeats. Minnesota in 1960, and they lost in their bowl game. That's twice in a 140 years.

Winning the NC with 2 defeats is kind of like getting hit by lightning, during an earthquake, while your house is burning down.

But Hey, I'm from Alabama, I'd count it too.

1 person likes this.
  8. Chase4LSU

Chase4LSU Waiting on Mettenberger

Miles isn't going anywhere just yet. While I like and support him, every coach screws up sometimes. Every coach has pride, which sometimes overshadows good judgement. We're 8-3 now, already doing better than last year. I think Miles is going to pull it together to finish the season strong. As I've said previously on other threads, I think we're still rebuilding, and next year will be the deciding one for Miles :tigereye:

9. Speedy G

Speedy G Founding Member

A championship is a championship, but LSU was very fortunate to be in that game.

You could say Miles had the best team in the country, and still lost two games.

10. LSUtiger327

:hihi:

hey, we were the process of elimination national champs!!!!